Fresh Finds Friday: Doja Cat covers a 90s song; Vance Joy releases new love song

With week seven of the semester approaching, Spring Break is just around the corner. The excitement to go on vacation or head home is bringing in a shrinking motivation for all things school. With that being said, we could all use some new music to help power through the week. Luckily, we have tunes to keep you energized during these long days and long nights.

While everyone has their favorite genre of music, we’ve made a playlist that will appeal to any mood or preference. Below are new songs that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around in your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. Here are five new songs to get you through the week:

“Celebrity Skin” by Doja Cat

Many people know "Celebrity Skin" as the hit punk song from Hole that came out in 1998, which was written by lead singer Courtney Love (known for being married to Nirvana lead singer Kurt Cobain). Now, 24 years later, it's revived by Doja Cat on her cover of the song, which aired in a Taco Bell commercial titled "The Grande Escape" during Super Bowl LVI. Doja Cat is in full makeup escaping school by car to find the closest Taco Bell and remind you to “Live Mas.” You can watch the extended cut of the ad here.

“Together We Go Down In The Dark” by Julius Black

Australian singer-songwriter Julius Black released his new EP “Together We Go Down In The Dark.” In an interview about the track, Black explains, “I wanted to make this project darker and sinister but make the music more major and brighter.” According to an Acidstag article, Black covers issues such as toxic relationships, drug abuse and ambitions. However, the message behind it all reminds listeners to find their people that’ll greet them with open arms and help hold them accountable.

“Mirage” by Alex Vaughn

Alex Vaughn, the Maryland native who recently signed with LVRN and made her debut single, sings about a love that one doesn’t expect and then discovering it was a doomed relationship with the lyrics: “Damn near perfect beautiful you are / Or is it just a mirage?

This track started as a Voice Memo a year ago and turned into a jam session in a DC attic, Vaughn said in an Instagram post. She reminds her followers not to hoard their great ideas, and instead, share them with the world.

“The Hardest Cut ” by Spoon

Jim Eno, the guitarist for Spoon, is familiar to many MDIA students who attend Ohio University; his studio Public Hi-Fi was one of the program's study away opportunities. Based in Austin, Texas, "The Hardest Cut" is the second song off their 10th studio album, Lucifer on the Sofa. The track mixes a dark grungy theme with ‘70s guitar riffs, but continues to play with the similar sounds and styles as previous albums, all with new twists.   

“Don’t Fade” by Vance Joy

Vance Joy released his first single of the year, "Don't Fade," produced alongside Take A Daytrip, Edwin Whitem and David Longstreth and with songwriting partner Dave Bassett. "Don't Fade" finds Joy reflecting on a relationship with the feels of indie rock in the background lyrics: “Didn't get much sleep, that's ok  / Not a single thing needs to change.” This song will appear on his upcoming untitled third album and he will embark on a small North American tour this spring starting May 14.

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu