Fresh Find Friday: Dr. Dre and Eminem team up for “Gospel”; ODESZA fans speculate their recent single is their last

With the 24th Winter Olympics off to a strong start and the Cincinnati Bengals set to play the Los Angeles Rams on Sunday in Super Bowl LVI, there’s many exciting things happening and to look forward to this weekend. What better way to stay energized than with a good playlist that keeps the good energy flowing? We’ve got you covered on that front.

While everyone has their favorite genre of music, we’ve made a playlist that will appeal to any mood or preference. Below are new songs that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around in your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. Here are five new songs to get you through the week:

“Gospel” by Dr. Dre, Eminem

Dr. Dre and Eminem teamed up on "Gospel," originally released Dec. 15 as a part of the soundtrack for GTA’s The Contract. It has now been released on streaming platforms as of last Friday for out-of-game listening pleasure. Both dealing with various issues, Dre raps about his recent divorce settlement with lyrics: "Lookin for my next gold digger / This summer here gon' be colder than winter." Likewise, Eminem flexes his usual egotistical yet timeless lyrics: "I'm better than cake mix." Watch out for the duo This Sunday as they perform with Snoop Dogg and Kendrick Lamar for the Super Bowl Halftime Show.

“Beach Boy” by BENEE

2020 brought New Zealand alterative-pop star Benee, now planning a new EP titled LYCHEE. Recently, Benee released "Beach Boy," described from its instrumentals as pure fantasy. "It's about being happy alone, but still wanting some love, the thrill without the pain,“ she said in a Stereogum interview. Now embarking on her North America Tour, which includes a stop in Columbus, starting in April, Benee continues to amaze and has no plans of stopping. Look for LYCHEE  on your streaming platforms March 4.

“3AM” by DRAMA

DRAMA, a musical duo from Chicago, creates unique sound transcending boundaries of musical genres on their new EP and with their most recent single, “3AM.” This song embodies the feeling of being at a party and wanting someone to ask you to dance so that everyone knows you’re together, DRAMA said in a Music Essentials interview. With sultry vocals and funky grooves, “3AM" ought to be playing for your late-night shenanigans.

“filmy (f*** it, i miss you)” by Winnetka Bowling League, Demi Lovato

Going to a French party where no one speaks French is the theme of this new single from Winnetka Bowling League. This song gives the story of heartbreak and trying to rekindle the flame with an ex at a French-themed party with glitter and red berets. So, they reminisce about the histories of the relationship. If you’re yearning and missing that special someone, give this track a listen.

“The Last Goodbye” by ODESZA, Bettye LaVette

ODESZA, a Seattle-based electronic duo, released their long-awaited new single after a four-year hiatus from their last album, “A Moment Apart.” They spent the majority of the past week teasing the single on Instagram. Harrison Mills and Clayton Knight, the members of the duo, teamed up with Bettye LaVette by sampling her 1965 song “Let Me Down Easy” with the ethereal soundwaves that they’re known for. Though fans speculated this might be a message that this will be the music group’s last single together, they quickly shot down the rumors via Twitter.

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu