Fresh Finds Friday: Conan Gray sings about self-image; Peach Pit releases a new single with an important reminder

Week four of the semester is usually when responsibilities kick into full swing and classes become ever so demanding. What better way to say goodbye to January than with a good playlist that gives your ears something to keep the stress at bay and gives you some peaceful moments throughout these long days? Lucky for you, we’ve got you covered.

While everyone has their favorite genre of music, we’ve made a playlist that will appeal to any mood or preference. Below are new songs that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around in your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. Here are seven new songs to get you through the week:

“Light Switch” by Charlie Puth 

With his first single of the year, Charlie Puth returns with a cliché "get the girl back" single on “Light Switch.” Released in the music video, Puth goes from drinking his feelings to training his way back into shape. While not his next heartbreak anthem, Puth still returns to the stage with the sensual love songs you know and love.

“Jigsaw“ by Conan Gray 

A slice of sad-boy glam with a mixture of grunge guitar elements best defines “Jigsaw.”  Gray revealed his inspiration for the song in a press release, stating “I was used to trying to please everyone and when it comes to love, I started to do the same.” The lyrics “I’ve changed every part of me until the pieces aren’t me at all,” give the metaphor that he’s a jigsaw piece trying to change to fit in someone’s heart, and it’s not working. Following this first single of 2022, Gray will be embarking on his world tour in March. 

“Don’t Text Me When You’re Drunk” by Stacey Ryan, Zai1k 

Homegrown Tiktok jazz musician Stacey Ryan is tired of being drunk texted. “Don’t Text Me When You’re Drunk” is all about those situations when an ex texts you when they’ve had one too many drinks. What started as a rough piano composition turned into a Tik Tok challenge, which gained several entries -- one of them being from Zai1k, who co-wrote the song on the seventh day of the challenge and released the song with Ryan on Jan. 16.

“cbd” by brakence 

Randy Findell, best known as his stage name brakence, is an emerging electro-pop star hailing from Columbus that rose in popularity due to his stylistic similarities to Jeremy Zucker. Since his song “dropout” about his experience dropping out of Ohio State University, he has evolved into more experimental production. According to a Genius report, “cbd" continues the type of production he’s known for, along with the addition of acoustic bass and drums.

”midnight sun” by Nilufer Yanya 

Revolving around pain and vulnerability, West London singer and songwriter Nilufer Yanya is currently teasing the release of her next album Painless in March. She’s released “stabilise” and “midnight sun,” which she talked about in a Stereogum interview stating, “It’s (midnight sun) a song about recognizing what it feels like to be pushed down but wanting to resist.”

In 2016, Yanya released a series of indie-pop EPs and singles and signed with Universal ATO Records, according to her Spotify bio. Yanya continues to amaze fans with her mixture of recording styles despite being a newcomer to the spotlight of the music industry.

“When The Lights Go Down” by DVBBS, Galantis, Cody Simpson 

DVBBS and Galantis team up for the true blend of force on ”When The Lights Go Down,” with vocals from Australian singer Cody Simpson. “We’ve shared stages around the world with legend Galantis over the last decade and we had to finish the story right, and that’s 'When The Lights Down,'” DVBBS said about the song. Infused with the house drops that’ll get you moving on the dance floor, this track is all about happiness.

“Vickie” by Peach Pit

Neil Smith, singer and guitarist best known by his stage name Peach Pit, recently released “Vickie.” The song started as an idea of a friend living right down the street during the COVID-19 pandemic. In the YouTube video, the camera follows Smith on a walk covering mainland to pumpkin patches, and ends with him arriving at his friend Vickie's house. Despite the crazy times, the song and video remind us to not be afraid to go on a walk and spend time with those who mean most to you.

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu