Senior outfielder, Allie Englant (4), catches a pop up during the home game against Northern Illinois University on Saturday, March 20 2021 in Athens, Ohio.

Softball: Ohio opens season at Cardinal Classic

Ohio opened its season with a trip to Beaumont, Texas, to compete in the Cardinal Classic. It wasn’t the start Ohio wanted, as it dropped four of its five games over the weekend and picked up its sole win when it defeated host Lamar 7-2 on Saturday.

Mackensie Kohl picked up her first win of the season in the circle. The junior pitched a complete game and allowed just two hits and two runs over seven innings while striking out five and walking two. Kohl’s pitching combined with solid defense allowed the Bobcats to slam the door in the final three innings and prevented any of the Cardinals from getting on base.

Fifth year Megan McMenemy and senior Caroline Spacek each went 3-for-4 and scored once during the win. Senior Caitlin Fogue cranked a double and cashed in two RBIs. 

But Ohio’s success on Saturday was short lived. Following the win, Ohio dropped the second game of its doubleheader with a 9-8 loss to Creighton. Senior Allie Englant carried the offense, ending the game 4-for-4 with an RBI and three runs scored. Annalia Paoli started her sophomore season off strong by smashing a home run in the first inning. Fogue continued her successful day with a home run as well. 

The Bobcats started the game with a 3-1 lead after Paoli and Fogue’s home runs, but the Blue Jays jumped on top of pitcher Kylie Coffelt in the second inning. The Bluejays scored six runs in the second inning after a three-run home run, RBI triple and sacrifice fly to take a 7-3 lead. Coffelt reeled herself in and finished out the game with six strikeouts, and she allowed nine runs on 10 hits. The Bobcats tied it up at 8-8 by the bottom of the fourth inning, but a Creighton sacrifice fly was enough to nab the win.

Ohio didn’t fare much better over the rest of the weekend. It dropped both of its Friday games including its first game against Creighton in which it lost 8-2. Tori Walker entered the game in the second inning to pinch run for Brooke Rice, and she scored on a double steal after Allie Englant drew a walk. Ohio scored again after Spacek hit an RBI single in the fourth inning, but it wasn’t enough to keep up with Creighton.

Ohio also fell to New Mexico on Friday. It was scoreless until an RBI double from Fogue in the fourth and an RBI single from Englant in the fifth cut the lead to two runs. However, Ohio couldn’t rally in the final two innings and lost 4-2.

The Bobcats concluded the weekend with a rematch against the Lobos on Sunday, but things didn’t change. The Bobcats were abysmal in the field, committing seven errors as the Lobos racked up 11 hits and scored nine runs. They scored once, after Alexis Dawe hit a single into left field that brought Paoli home. But the Bobcats fell silent after that, and the Lobos commanded the remainder game for a 9-1 victory after five innings. 

@imchristosiegel

cs093219@ohio.edu