De'Montre Tuggle #24 rushes for a first down during the game against Central Michigan at Peden Stadium on Oct. 9, 2021.

Football: Ohio adds 3 more recruits on National Signing Day

Ohio announced three more additions to its roster during Wednesday's National Signing Day. Coach Tim Albin said in a statement that Mekah Ryder and Jarian Shelby have both signed their National Letters of Intent and that Rice transfer August Pitre III has committed to Ohio.

"I'm really excited to announce the addition of these collegiate-athletes to our Bobcat program,“ Albin said in a statement released by the athletic department. "Our coaching staff worked tirelessly over the last year to discover, evaluate and recruit players who fit our team and university culture as well as our roster needs."

Here are the three signees Ohio announced Wednesday:

Name: August Pitre III

Position: WR

Height/Weight: 6-foot-2, 181 pounds

Hometown: Opelousas, Louisiana

Previous School: Rice

Pitre III played in eight games for the Owls last season and started six times. The redshirt sophomore averaged 15.9 yards per catch and 61.8 yards per game last season, and he was second on the team for receiving yards per game. In Rice's loss to Western Kentucky, Pitre III made a season-high nine receptions for 133 yards.

Name: Mekah Ryder

Position: CB

Height/Weight: 6-foot-1, 165 pounds

Hometown: McKinney, Texas

High School: McKinney High School

At 6-foot-1, Ryder will be among the tallest in the cornerbacks unit when he arrives in Athens. Cornerbacks coach De'Angelo Smith believes Ryder will adapt to Ohio's system well.

Ohio was the only Football Bowl Subdivision program to extend an offer to Ryder. His other offer came from Texas Wesleyan University, which plays in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics.

Name: Jarian Shelby

Position: OL

Height/Weight: 6-foot-3, 295 pounds

Hometown: Luling, Louisiana

High School: Hahnville High School

Shelby is the biggest of the two offensive linemen in Ohio's 2022 signing class, and the early anticipation from offensive line coach Allen Rudolph is that Shelby will fill in as a tackle. The three-star offensive lineman was a three-year starter for Hahnville High School and had received offers from Tulane and Louisiana before committing to Ohio.

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu