Ohio University forward JT Schimizzi shoots on the Lakers' goal during their game against the Roosevelt University Lakers at Bird Arena on Friday, Oct. 8, 2021. The Bobcats went to win the game 9-1. [Alex Eicher | The Post]

Hockey: Numbers to know from Ohio's win over Roosevelt

Ohio finally snapped its losing streak.

Ohio faced off against Roosevelt in the first round of the Central States Collegiate Hockey League playoffs on Friday. Ohio was familiar with Roosevelt after facing it in two series during the regular season. Ohio dominated Roosevelt in both series, and the story was the same on Friday night. The Bobcats smacked around the Lakers for a 9-1 win.

Here are the numbers to know for Ohio’s playoff win:

14

Goalie Matt Server didn’t see much action on his side of the ice. Server only faced 14 total shots on goal from Roosevelt, and saved 13 of them. Roosevelt’s only goal came on a power play with 12:39 remaining in the game. As for the Bobcats, the Lakers saved 27-of-36 shots on goal. Server was able to prevent the Lakers from getting the puck by him more than once, and finished with a save percentage of 92%. 

8

The Bobcats scored three goals in all three periods on Friday. Eight different Bobcats were able to score against the Lakers. In the first period, Ryan Leonard scored the Bobcats' first goal of the game. Ryan Hastings and Sam Turner later followed with goals of their own.

In the second period, three more players scored for Ohio. Ryan Higgins scored 19 seconds into the period, and a little over a minute later, Aiden Grieco scored a goal of his own. John McLaughlin also scored during the second period.

Trevor Wittkopf added his name to the list in the third period, and Turner followed suit with his second goal of the night. Nick Erker wrapped up the dominate outing with a goal in the final 20 seconds of the game. By the end of the night, the Bobcats had one of their best offensive performances of the season.  

5

Roosevelt had five opportunities to score on the power play. The Lakers successfully scored on the power play once, while the Bobcats managed to kill the other four opportunities. Roosevelt ended the night 20% on the power play in part due to Ohio’s dominance on defense and excellent net protection.

36

Sam Turner had two goals and one assist in the victory against Roosevelt. Turner is no stranger to strong outings on the ice and played a big part in leading the Bobcats to a win on Friday. He leads the Bobcats with 36 overall points throughout the season and his prowess showed against the Lakers.

@mariamonesii 

mm017019@ohio.edu