Ohio defenseman Blake Rossi (#7) fires a shot into the net during the Ohio hockey game against Lindenwood on Friday, March 12, 2021, at the Bird Arena in Athens, Ohio. The Bobcats beat the Lions 3-0. (FILE)

Hockey: Ohio releases 2021-22 schedule

Ohio released the schedule for its 2021-22 season Monday. 

The Bobcats will have a more normal schedule compared to their shortened 2021 season, playing in 37 regular season games against 15 opponents. Many of their opponents will be tough to beat, but the Bobcats are no strangers to a challenge. 

Ohio faced tough opponents last season and despite finishing 5-15, it showed a lot of potential. 

Luckily for the Bobcats, 26 of their regular season games this season will be played at home. Ohio will play five of its last seven games of the regular season at Bird Arena, which might be a major advantage heading toward the Central States Collegiate Hockey League playoffs. 

Ohio hosts its annual preseason Green and White scrimmage on Sept. 18 at Bird Arena. Its season will officially begin on Sept. 24-25 when it takes on John Carroll at Bird Arena. It hosts a series against Pitt on Oct. 1-2. 

Ohio’s home stint continues with a game against West Virginia on Oct. 7 and series against Roosevelt and Iowa State on Oct. 8-9 and Oct. 15-16, respectively.

West Virginia is one of three teams that Ohio will only play one game against this season. The other two games will be against Robert Morris on Nov. 4 and Duquesne on Feb. 3.

The Bobcats close out October with a home series against Illinois on Oct. 22-23 and a home-and-home series with Adrian on Oct. 28-29. The Bobcats will travel to Adrian for the first game, and host the second at Bird Arena. It will be the only home-and-home series the Bobcats will play this season.

Ohio will then host Robert Morris, followed by a series against Western Michigan on Nov. 5-6. It will then hit the road for two weeks to face Liberty on Nov. 12-13 and Roosevelt on Nov. 19-20. Ohio’s final matchup of 2021 will be against Niagara at home on Dec. 3-4. 

After the new year, the Bobcats will stay in Athens for two weeks to host Drexel on Jan. 7-8 and Stony Brook from Jan. 14-15. The last half of January closes with road trips to Iowa State on Jan. 21-22 and Lindenwood from Jan. 28-29.

February is the final month of the regular season, and Ohio will host rematches against Lindenwood on Feb. 4-5 and Liberty on Feb. 11-12. Ohio’s regular season will close with a series at Illinois on Feb. 18-19. 

Notable matchups this season include rival Liberty, who knocked Ohio out of the ACHA Tournament quarterfinals last season. Another notable matchup is Adrian, who is the current ACHA tournament champions. 

The CSCHL playoffs are set to take place from Feb. 25-27 and will be hosted by Iowa State. Lindenwood will host the ACHA National Tournament from March 10-15.

@molly_burchard8

mb712319@ohio.edu