Ohio swimming and diving alumna Sam Glass, left, and Hannah Schlegel, lower right, talk to their former teammates during the Senior Day meet at Ohio's Aquatic Center on Saturday, Jan. 29, 2022.

Swim and Dive: Ohio takes home fourth place at MAC Championships

Friday night marked the beginning of the final two days of the Mid-American Conference Championships. Ohio sat at sixth place after the first two days and climbed to fourth place after the end of the meet.

The final rounds kicked off with the 100-yard fly, where Gabrielle Brust came finished in sixth place with a time of 53.70. Junior Kendra Sheehan earned 12th place overall in the same event, clocking in at 54.70. Morgan Croaning placed seventh in the 400-yard individual medley with her time of 4:23.60. McKenzie Grau nabbed a stunning second-place finish in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:47.89.

Julia Strine clocked in at 1:03.81 in the 100-yard breaststroke, putting her in 13th place. Riley Bunstine had a time of 56.00 for the 100-yard backstroke finals, where she finished in 16th place. The Bobcats closed out the third day of competition with a fifth-place finish in the 400-yard medley relay, and they finished with a time of 3:42.90.

The Bobcats went into Saturday sitting at fifth place with 243 points, an improvement from their sixth place standings the night before. The finals opened with the 1650-yard freestyle, where Morgan Croaning placed seventh with a time of 16:59.90. In the finals for the 200-yard backstroke, Athena Aravantinou and Bunstine earned 10th and 16th place, respectively, with times of 1:59.63 and 2:03.77.

In the 100-yard freestyle finals, Emma Fortman placed 10th overall with a time of 50.58. Grau and Caroline Dunigan tied for 11th place with times of 50.69. Strine finished the 200-yard breaststroke in 2:17.87, earning her eighth place. Brust competed in the 200-yard butterfly and ended up in fourth with a time of 1:59.57.

In the 3-meter diving finals, Halli Siwik took home fifth place with a score of 259.75 points.

Ohio gave a strong performance overall throughout the weekend, with many solid finishes from key swimmers such as Grau and Brust. The Bobcats finished out the MAC Championships in fourth place and an overall score of 326 points. Fortman, Brust and Grau were all named to the All-MAC Second Team at the end of the weekend.

@ErionEmma

ee646020@ohio.edu

Emma Erion

Managing Editor