Cutler Hall on College Green.

OU rescinds certain COVID-19 protocols following drop in cases

In a university-wide email sent Friday, Gillian Ice, special assistant to the president for public health operations, announced updated COVID-19 guidelines for Ohio University.  

Effective immediately, students living in residence halls will be allowed to host off-campus guests, according to the email. In January 2022, the university announced off-campus students and guests who are not OU students were not permitted in residence halls. 

The updated measures come as COVID-19 cases and transmission are declining on campus and in Athens. In the email, Ice said cases have been declining over the past four weeks. 

On Jan. 9, OU President Hugh Sherman announced in-person gatherings, events and meetings should be limited when possible and held virtually. He also asked that food and drinks no longer be served at in-person meetings, according to a previous Post report. 

However, in Ice’s Friday announcement, she said in-person meetings, gatherings and events outside of classes are allowed to resume. Food and drinks are also allowed to be served at those events. 

Ice also stressed the importance of keeping masking protocols in place and encouraged students to adhere to the asymptomatic testing program the university requires. 

@mollywmarie

mw542219@ohio.edu

Molly Wilson

News Editor