On My Hill: NBA Trade deadline reactions

Although the trade deadline hasn’t officially ended, there’s been plenty of surprising moves that will have lasting effects on the NBA. Here’s a few quick reactions to some of the moves that have - and haven’t - been made.

Let’s take a look at the Blazers, so far with two significant trades. Norman Powell and Robert Covington were moved to the Clippers for a package including Eric Bledsoe, Justise Winslow and Keon Johnson. If we’re looking purely at the talent traded out of Portland, the Clippers win this by a lot.

However, the trade eliminates the heavier contract of Powell and allows the Blazers to go below the luxury tax threshold, opening room for another asset to be acquired to play alongside Damian Lillard in free agency.

This is also why CJ McCollum was dealt to the Pelicans. The backcourt duo expended all the energy they could since McCollum was drafted in 2013, making it as far as the Western Conference Finals. They could never get over the hump and the team has struggled to get anywhere without a herculean effort from the two of them.

It sucks, but it’s time to move on. In addition, Lillard needs to be moved, and a trade is well overdue. His value could’ve been maximized a year ago, and I think Portland has no choice but to blow everything up. I really like what Anfernee Simons has done as a starter, and you can make the effort to build around him.

Furthermore on the Pelicans, they could make some noise when Zion Williamson finally comes back. After beginning the season 2-14, they’ve coasted into contention for a play-in spot. CJ-Ingram-Zion is a trio that could be really fun. That team is really young and adding a veteran automatic 20 point scorer who can occasionally explode for 40 or 50 is a strong move.

The Haliburton-Sabonis trade is dumbfounding to me. Sacramento hasn’t had a direction for nearly two decades, and this move doesn’t get them anywhere closer to success.

A bigger 21 year old guard who can play the 1 or the 2 and is 11th in the league in assists per game should be the cornerstone of a team needing guidance and order. Granted, Domantas Sabonis is a great player, but he should be helping a contender. The Pacers also get one of the league’s best shooters in Buddy Hield, who can bring a boost to anybody.

Rookie contracts can go a long way, and I’m not sure why Sacramento isn’t considering that while De’Aaron Fox is already overpaid. This seems like a lateral move at best for the Kings, while the Pacers reboot the rebuild on a strong note.

The Cavs also made a deal with the Pacers: acquiring Caris LeVert for two seconds rounders, a first, and Ricky Rubio, who likely won’t play a single minute in Indy as he’ll be out the rest of the year with a torn ACL and is an impending free agent. This move makes a lot of sense for the Cavs, using LeVert to fill the gap left by the injuries at ball-handler, notably Collin Sexton.

Two of the trades that haven’t happened (as of Wednesday night) involve the former teammates and former MVPs in James Harden and Russell Westbrook.

Let’s be real. Westbrook has to go, man. I previously discussed what adjustments the Lakers need to make to return to contending for a title, and LeBron James and Anthony Davis have done their parts. LeBron could be the NBA’s scoring leader and Davis has been polished, focused and efficient since coming back from his injury.

Westbrook is a detriment to this team at this point. He’s done what he could to keep the Lakers afloat while his co-stars battle injuries, which was his job from the beginning above anything else. Although, unless the Lakers can move Russ to the bench and are comfortable enough to keep him out in clutch time, they’re better off just shipping him off elsewhere.

Also, I don’t buy that the Sixers and Nets have a trade deal for James Harden and Ben Simmons. I just have a hard time seeing such a massive trade with monumental playoff implications taking place midseason, especially with the Nets’ ‘Big Three’ only playing 10 regular season games together. There’s been conflicting information from two major sources at ESPN, but I doubt this deal gets done until the offseason if at all.

The deadline hasn’t ended just yet, so chaos can still ensue until Thursday at 4 p.m. This has been a stellar and unpredictable NBA season so far, and I’m excited to see how it plays out.

Christo Siegel is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Christo by tweeting him at @imchristosiegel.