Members of the Student Senate listen to theater students at Ohio University speak out against the poor conditions of Kantner Hall at the Student Senate meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2019. (FILE)

Student Senate treasurer removed from position in vote of no confidence

Clarification appended.

Student Senate Treasurer Simar Kalkat was removed from her position Wednesday evening in a vote of no confidence by members of Senate.

During a no confidence vote, members of Senate are asked if the behavior of each executive member is such that they should be removed from office. In voting “yea,” Senate body members express that the respective particular member is no longer deemed fit to perform their job. 

Kalkat began serving as Senate’s treasurer in April 2021. As treasurer, she oversaw Senate’s finances and had access to a university purchasing card, which can be used to purchase items with funds that do not need to go through the appropriations process in Senate. 

Kalkat said her evaluation may have been influenced by an anonymous tip allegedly received by Chief Justice Hannah Fleming concerning the use of Kalkat’s Senate purchasing card. 

Student Senate President Becky “Eliza” Ivan said Senate is in the process of formally discussing the situation. Ivan declined to comment further on the specifics of the meeting until those discussions have been conducted. 

In accordance with Senate's Rules and Procedures, Kalkat cannot appeal her removal.

@ryanmaxin

rm554219@ohio.edu 

@mollywmarie 

mw542219@ohio.edu

Clarification: A previous version of this article stated that the “no confidence” vote indicates that members have little confidence in the respective member to perform their job, when it means they no longer deem the member fit to perform their job. A previous version of this article also said it is unclear if Kalkat can appeal her decision. This article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.

Molly Wilson

News Editor