(Photo provided via @taylorswift on Instagram)

NYU just launched a Taylor Swift course

Taylor Swift is by far one of the most successful and influential musicians of all time, at least according to Swifties everywhere. Now, her impact on pop culture and the music industry has become a noteworthy topic of discussion at college institutions throughout the United States.

Launched on Jan. 26, the new class at New York University’s Clive Davis Institute provided avid Taylor fans the perfect opportunity to analyze her musical catalog, with Rolling Stone journalist Brittany Spanos as the lead professor. The course description includes discussions about Swift’s musical impact and legacy, even saying, “Students will develop an understanding and appreciation for Taylor Swift as a creative music entrepreneur.”

The Clive Davis Institute has created courses similar in the past, those centering on the impact of artists like Beyoncé and Miley Cyrus.

Music writer and musician Jason King is also serving as the chair of the course, saying to Variety the creation of the course was a “no brainer.” He also addressed the concern of whether Spanos would be able to remain objective throughout the course saying, “Spanos is a Taylor fan but she also understands how to contextualize her culturally, and get students to think more deeply about her and her music through the lens of gender, feminism, race, and class, and other categories related to identity…”

The syllabus sounds just as exciting, including a look at the “legacy of pop and country songwriters that have influenced” Swift. There will also be a study of how her creativity and songwriting have allowed her to be a constant presence in a fast-paced, rapidly evolving industry. 

Meanwhile, students will also be challenged to deconstruct the appeal and aversions to Taylor Swift through doing close readings of her music, as well as public discourses, as it relates to her evolution as an artist. The class will analyze the culture and politics of teen girlhood in pop music, fandom, media studies, whiteness and power as it relates to her image and the images of those who have both come before the singer and succeeded her. The course will also address American nationalism and social media’s impact on the pop music industry.

Reflecting so far on the course, Spanos told Variety, “It’s such an honor to be able to share my Swiftie expertise with a sharp group of students. I hope to help them rethink how to engage with one of the world’s biggest and sometimes divisive stars.”

Variety also said the queen herself might even make a guest appearance, being invited to give a lecture by Spanos, but the request is still pending. The course ends March 9, so only time will tell.

Unfortunately, the class has a waitlist and is only being offered so far at one university in the United States, but hopefully this will inspire institutions to follow suit in the near future. If there’s one thing Swifties are good at, it’s advocating for the talented and multi-faceted star in any capacity. 

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu