Athens Uncorked co-owners and siblings Nate Hayes, left, and Kathy Blake, right, talk together in the dining area of Athens Uncorked, a wine bar located on Station Street. (FILE)

6 ways to spend Valentine’s Day in Athens

Athens isn’t exactly known for having a ton of things to do. While the bars on Court Street may be satisfactory for many, they are not exactly the best place to spend a romantic night with your significant other.

Since Valentine’s Day is right after the Super Bowl this year, a Valentine’s Day-themed bar crawl might not sound too appealing after a day that is basically dedicated to beer and football.

This can make it difficult when it comes to making plans for the most romantic day of the year. 

However, Athens actually offers plenty of activities that can be very romantic — you just have to look for them and get creative. Here is a list of tips, tricks and date ideas for your Valentine’s Day in Athens: 

Dinner and a movie

There isn't a more classic date than this for Valentine’s Day. Athens has many fantastic restaurants to offer at different price points for everyone.

Close to campus, there are both upscale restaurants like Ciro and more casual places like Ginger Asian Kitchen. Feel out your vibe. If you’re in the mood for some pasta and wine, Ciro is your destination. If you would rather grab sushi to-go and eat while enjoying a rom-com, we suggest Ginger. 

Whichever you prefer, there is something for everyone. Unfortunately, the Athena Cinema on Court Street is closed on Mondays. However, the Athena Grand on East State Street will be open and showing movies like Marry Me, Scream, Jackass Forever and Death on the Nile. Even better, adult tickets are only $5! 

Hiking/road trip

One of the best things about Athens is the variety of parks and hiking trails that are so close to campus. Going on a mini road trip to all of the different parks nearby is a wonderful way to spend the day if you and your partner love to be outside and adventurous. 

You can make this trip as long or as short as you want. You could make the 45-minute drive out to Hocking Hills or stay a little bit closer to town and explore around The Ridges.

Or, if you just feel like going on a romantic stroll, walking on the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway along the river is another great option.

Go to a local winery

There are a handful of wineries that are less than a 20-minute drive from Athens, such as Pleasant Hill Vineyards or Shade Winery. 

Shade will be offering their Chef’s menu for all of Valentine’s Day week, including fresh calamari, baked brie, house-made chicken pot pie and crème brule. 

Athens Uncorked on Station Street will be offering a four-course Valentine’s dinner meal for two, which includes an appetizer, salad, Chicken Caprese Pasta, a pesto Cavatappi Pasta, dessert and two glasses of champagne for $70. 

You can share a cheese board and enjoy a bottle of wine with your partner at any of these locations.

Kennedy Museum of Art

If you and your partner love the arts, a visit to the Kennedy Museum of Art is a perfect way to spend the day. This museum is located at The Ridges with different exhibits such as “The Van Gogh Affect” and “LACUNA.”

Admission to the museum is free, but donations are appreciated.

Athens Farmers Market

If you and your partner don’t feel like going out for Valentine’s Day, a night in is still a great option.

The Farmers Market is only open on Saturdays and Wednesdays, but if you and your partner went on Saturday, you could possibly find some ingredients to make dinner together on Monday!

During winter, the Farmers Market is moved inside of the mall on East State Street.

Galentine’s Night Out cardio dance class

If you are spending Feb. 14 with your Galentine’s, this Valentine’s Day-themed class at Ping Recreation Center is a fun way to exercise and hang out with your friends.

The class is free to attend, and you can register at this link

@carolinekam12

ck603020@ohio.edu