From the Editor’s Desk: Meet the 2022-2023 executive editors of ‘The Post’

While the seasons around us change once again, it’s also a season of change for us at The Post.

A new trio of executive editors has been chosen, and with that means time for training, additional hiring and preparing for the summertime, where the reins will be handed to new leadership. Though the semester may be winding down, things are kicking into a new gear for The Post, and the excitement in the newsroom is palpable.

It’s a strange feeling knowing that my time at both Ohio University and The Post are coming to a close. Nonetheless, I’m incredibly excited for what the next editors have in store for this publication. They are all the textbook definition of dedication and bring so many new ideas to the table. Now, I’ll allow them to introduce themselves to our readers in preparation for the upcoming year:

Ryan Maxin, editor-in-chief

Hi, I’m Ryan! I’m a sophomore studying journalism and publication design, and I’ll be The Post’s 2022-23 editor-in-chief, something I’m so proud and honored to be able to say. As the first (soon-to-be) junior to hold the position in a number of years, I’m extremely energized to do my part to make The Post the best it can be. 

My love for this publication does not distract me from its shortcomings, though. The Post has historically struggled with a lack of diversity and equity — in its staffers, its sources, its stories and more. Because of that, it has oftentimes not been able to accurately cover nor represent the communities it serves. The Post is taking several steps, which will be announced soon, to ensure equity and open communication are prioritized in the newsroom. 

My confidence in The Post’s future stems from the talented people leading it alongside me: Kayla, our managing editor; Jack, our digital director and the yet-to-be-decided person who will be equity director. And, of course, every other phenomenal staffer who works tirelessly behind-the-scenes to get things done. The Post will undoubtedly face hurdles under our leadership, but at the end of the day, it will continue to stand as a voice for those who need it. 

Kayla Bennett, managing editor

Hey, everyone! My name is Kayla Bennett, and I am currently a junior studying journalism. I can’t wait to be The Post’s next managing editor. I knew The Post was the place for me when I felt included and connected despite being home due to the pandemic. When I first joined The Post two years ago, I fell in love with telling stories about the people and places in Athens — it felt like home even from miles away. 

Having the opportunity to be the next managing editor is nothing less than exciting. I am looking forward to improving communication between staff at The Post and fostering an inviting atmosphere. It’s important to have our different staff communicating with each other in order to produce the best content we can. I hope as managing editor I can be a face our staff can come to with questions or concerns, and I hope they know I am there to support them through their work. Knowing and growing our current staff is crucial to creating a strong, diverse publication.

I am looking forward to working with Ryan, Jack and our soon-to-be equity director to help build The Post as a publication and as a voice for students. I can’t wait to see what next year has in store for this publication that I absolutely love.

Jack Hiltner, digital director 

Hello! I’m Jack Hiltner, and I’m a senior studying journalism, marketing and computer science. I’ve spent the last year serving as The Post’s audience engagement editor curating content for our readers while occasionally chiming in for other sections. I’m extremely proud to serve as The Post’s digital director, and I cannot wait to share the innumerable opportunities with my fellow Posties. 

I joined the publication back in 2019, and I haven’t looked back. It’s been an absolutely wonderful experience thus far, even if it wasn’t smooth sailing. Over the course of the last year, I’ve been actively monitoring every social media page of The Post and segmenting audiences to provide content that interests and informs our readers. 

As digital director, I hope to bring the insight I gained from reading every piece of input online from our readers to our digital presence and advance The Post online. We’ve never had a larger readership than we do now, and I’m ecstatic to continue working alongside my talented peers.

If you would like to talk to Ryan, Kayla or Jack you can email them at rm554219@ohio.edu, kb084519@ohio.edu  and jh396418@ohio.edu, respectively. Please note that the views of columnists do not reflect those of The Post.