Image via @celeste_game on Twitter.

Let’s Play: The DLC chapter of ‘Celeste’ is a masterpiece

*Minor spoilers for Celeste and Farewell ahead*

The final overall chapter of Celeste might just be perfect.  

So much about Extremely OK Games’ 2D platforming game has already been said. Since its initial release in 2018, Celeste has received critical acclaim for its mechanics, challenge, level design and story. Indeed, all of these aspects of the game contribute to its reputation as a masterpiece. 

However, there might be one chapter in Celeste that not only encapsulates everything wonderful about the game, but also intensifies it. In September 2019, over a year after the base game’s initial release, Celeste had its lone DLC and ninth overall chapter released, titled Farewell

Farewell takes place sometime after Celeste’s main story. The player once again is in control of Madeline, the game’s protagonist, who has already gone through her own journey of self-discovery after climbing the titular Celeste Mountain. While Madeline was able to come to terms with her demons after the main story, Farewell shows that not everything is perfect for the protagonist even after an initially happy ending.  

If the main story’s chapters were already emotional, trying and memorable, Farewell amplifies all of these factors to an extreme. 

First off, Farewell is difficult and long, more so than any previous chapter. In many cases, it even makes the previous trials of Celeste seem like nothing in comparison. This chapter introduces new mechanics and skills — such as wave dashing, pufferfish and jellyfish — that all appear daunting and frustrating for the player to learn when introduced to them. When first glancing over different screens needed to be cleared, the player may often find themselves wondering how it’s even possible to complete and how the game expects such precision platforming out of them. The solution, like the rest of Celeste, is to go at it again, again and again until one small section of a large chapter is perfected. Then, repeat. 

The big difference this time around is that there might be far more attempts needed than usual.

With how long and challenging Farewell is, the player’s final death count may be somewhere in the thousands on their first play-through, possibly a jarring difference compared to what the player ended with in the base game’s chapters. With obstacles so steep in a chapter that seems to never end, what encourages the player to keep going? 

Celeste is a game that, as cruel as its design can be, encourages the player to never give up with its level design. Some of the screens in the DLC chapter make the player want to bang their head against a wall in frustration, but the satisfaction obtained with each overcome obstacle is plenty reward. The player doesn’t even need to complete a screen to feel a sense of accomplishment, either. Instead, mastering just one of too-many-to-count jumps in the chapter gives the player a sense of progress, even if it is a small one after several minutes of trial and error. 

The journey in Farewell is long and rough, but it never comes to a complete halt as long as you keep trying. This is the lesson already received from Celeste’s main story, and Farewell is both the review and the final exam.  

Of course, gameplay is just one piece of Celeste that makes it memorable. The game is also known for its story, which has likable characters and a touching narrative on mental health. Much of the base game explores Madeline’s depression and anxiety. Farewell further explores these themes, but with a different lens. Now, there is a focus on the feeling of loss and the regret that may come with it. Since the player is already familiar and attached to Madeline, they’re all the more encouraged to play through the chapter with her to see a conclusion to her current struggle.  

The music of Farewell matches the complicated feelings of the chapter’s narrative. Throughout the chapter, the songs played shift tones from somber, to nostalgic, then to heroic and more as the player progresses. Composer Lena Raine’s music in Celeste was already standout work, and new tracks such as “Joy of Remembrance” and “Beyond the Heart” help amplify Farewell’s atmosphere. 

While going through Farewell for the first time, the player will probably take breaks and not beat it in one sitting. As such, it may take several gaming sessions and days to finally reach the end. When the player finally does beat the last obstacle and cross the finish line, they’ve not only experienced a masterpiece, but they’ve also overcome the fiercest challenge Celeste has offered them. 

Melody Feazell is a senior studying strategic communication at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Tell Melody by tweeting them @MelodyFeaz.