(Photo provided via @whereismuna)

Artist Spotlight: MUNA moves full-speed ahead towards new musical territory

In the midst of 2013, three University of Southern California students decided to start a band together, self-releasing a debut EP called The Loudspeaker EP that would kick start their dive into the alternative music scene. 

The trio is now known as MUNA, with guitarists Josette Maskin and Naomi McPherson and vocalist Katie Gavin, but at the time, they were unknown to most. Four years later, after releasing their first album About U, the band was opening for Harry Styles on his North American and European tour.

While this was a major turning point for the three, the road afterwards was not smooth as planned. They dropped Saves The World in 2019, but were still stuck creatively, even being dropped by their label at the time.

Luckily, 2021 was a year that graced the trio. With the help of alternative singer Phoebe Bridgers, MUNA signed to her record label Saddest Factory Records, quickly releasing “Silk Chiffon ft. Phoebe Bridgers” that September. 

The single was a massive success for the band, with music listeners everywhere falling in love with the airy and light sounds reminiscent of a bittersweet summer crush. Even the music video was just as captivating, mocking the insanity of conversion therapy, which was new territory to discuss in their visuals, especially as queer women.

With the single came more opportunities. MUNA opened for Bridgers this past summer and will be playing at notable festivals such as Lollapalooza and Hinterland Music Festival within the next few months.

As they get ready to go on tour again, MUNA has a new album up their sleeves. Acting as their third, the band’s highly anticipated self-titled album already includes “Silk Chiffon ft. Phoebe Bridgers,” but now fans get to finally here “Anything But Me.”

The new track is stunning, with Gavin bluntly stating their past lover cannot come crawling back ever again, nor try to drag them down. The group already sounds at their strongest, with scathing lyrics such as “You’re gonna say I asked for the moon, I think it was you with your head in the sky / All that I wanted was somebody honest / Living for more than their next good time,” integrating a newfound sense of confidence in their production skills and vocal harmonies. 

The band says the track is “a song about leaving a partnership simply because it doesn’t feel right. It’s about trusting yourself and your instincts enough to walk away from someone while you still have enough love for each other and before it gets too bad.”

MUNA is ready to turn over a new leaf with their self-titled work, which drops June 24. As the band ventures away from their solely pop roots and enters the world of rock confessionals, it seems as though they are comfortable and authentic in their style. 

As 2022 moves at rapid speed, the trio is likely to be susceptible to more recognition and praise for their boldness, creativity and unabashed attitudes. It will be an exciting joy ride to see where their upcoming work takes listeners, as well as their creative visions.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu