The Wldlfe is perfect at encapsulating what true heartbreak feels like (Photo provided by @the_wldlfe via Twitter).

Artist Spotlight: The Wldlfe is always one step ahead

The indie-pop scene is an interesting place to find new artists, especially ones like The Wldlfe. With its roots starting in Anderson, Indiana, frontman Jansen Hogan — along with his college friends Jason Boucouras, Jack Crane, Geoff Jones and, later, his brother Carson — began creating music together in 2016.

The Wldlfe is perfect at encapsulating what true heartbreak feels like. Its first two major releases, “New” and “Waterfalls,” were underground successes for the band, receiving positive reviews from indie critics and being played across 90 college radio stations. Even big celebrities like Abigail Breslin and Chloe Grace Moretz gave the band a shoutout via Twitter.

The band’s first album, I Lost You, 2017, was a standout with self-reflective and vulnerable tracks like “All I Ever Do” as well as tracks portraying what first love feels like such as “Lol.” Overall, it was the turning point for the band, allowing them to gain a new following and open for artists like Halsey and COIN.

Following their first album, just one year later, The Wldlfe dropped I’m Not Worried Anymore, 2018, a project with a much larger tracklist and emphasizing the range of the band. From upbeat confessionals found in “I Don’t Mind” to stripped-back regrets in “Don’t Tell Me What I Want To Hear,” the band found a way to expand on its musical abilities and produce an even more mature body of work than its first. 

I’m Not Worried Anymore earned the praise of many music publications like Billboard Magazine, Live Nation’s Ones to Watch, *Earmilk and was featured on Spotify’s New Music Friday. Live Nation said, “The Wldlfe has an alt-indie sound packed full of striking lyrics and decadent instrumentation. The vocals of frontman Jansen Hogan are effortless in themselves, but the electropop effects used on his voice make them pure nectar to the ear.” 

Throughout 2019 and into 2020, The Wldlfe continued to drop music, finally releasing its third album, Waking Up Is Hard To Do, 2019-2020, which was an even newer sound than fans had heard before. “You Don’t Love Me (Like You Used To)” was the first time listeners were used to hearing Hogan visualize his failing love life while “A Boy On A Phone” allowed for the band to experiment with synths and electro-pop production. At the time of a raging pandemic, the feelings discussed in the album were those felt by many of their fans, allowing for the band to gain the sympathy of its followers.

2021 was the spark needed for the band to keep going, pulling from different genres to form a unique body of work. Repaint My Mind, 2021 contained an array of tracks, hinting at a new turning point for The Wldlfe. “Blood Orange” was the punk rock display of frustration fans never knew they needed, with Hogan singing of not being able to shut off his mind. Meanwhile, “Box” was the pop classic hit on the album, the band sounding its most confident and carefree.          

As 2022 continues to fly by, The Wldlfe is still venturing into new territory. Hogan has dropped his own music but still works heavily with the band. Recently, The Wldlfe finished touring with Nightly and is hosting its own tour. It also just dropped a new single called “Psycho (When I Wake Up).”

The Wldlfe seems untouchable as it moves at a rapid pace when it comes to making music, truly elevating its craft with every new album released. Looking at its track record, it seems like the band will continue to thrive, gaining the attention of indie-pop listeners little by little.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu