Bubbles Tea opened at 18 S Court St. in Athens, Ohio.

Every drink from Bubbles Tea Company, ranked

Bubble tea, also known as boba or pearl milk tea, is a drink that originated in Taiwan in the early 1980s. Although it is known for being just black tea and milk stirred together, the drink has branched off in various flavors, such as red bean and brown sugar. Bubble tea is typically paired with chewy tapioca balls, referred to as pearls or boba, but can also be served with popping bubbles and jellies.

One company that is fairly well known for its bubble tea drinks is Bubbles Tea Company. It offers a wide selection of bubble milk tea, smoothies and juices. Today, we’re here to rank the drinks from Bubbles without all the fixings. That means these opinions are based solely on the flavor of tea and not the toppings.

Here’s a ranking of Bubbles Tea Company:

13. Thai

Bubbles’ version of Thai tea has nothing on the traditional. Regular Thai tea has just a bit of sweetness and is mainly a blend of black tea spices with a splash of sweetened condensed milk. This Thai tea is overly sugary and gritty — hard pass.

12. Matcha

Another drink that can’t compare to the original is the matcha. Bubbles' is usually watered down and doesn’t have the authentic green tea taste. Traditional matcha takes time and precision to allow for the ground tea leaves to brew. This matcha is clearly a quick alternative that isn’t up to par.

11. The Buckeye

A protein drink that disguises itself as a smoothie. Truthfully, it’s more like a milkshake with Oreo and chocolate, but the peanut butter gives it that dessert-like, protein shake feel. 

10. Chai

With all the other coffee shops that offer chai tea in Athens, I’d rather get it elsewhere than Bubbles. There’s nothing too off about it, as it has the regular mix of spices found in a chai, but it leaves you feeling underwhelmed.

9. Very Berry

Very Berry is a pretty solid smoothie choice and a good option if you like your fruits. Blended with banana, blueberry, strawberry and raspberry, the fruit can stay a bit chunky in your drink, but if you like thick smoothies, this one is for you.

8. Lavender

Floral meets sweet; the lavender milk tea stays true to other lavender bubble tea drinks. Its taste isn’t too overpowering and doesn’t overwhelm you with the floweriness of the lavender. While a bit sugary, the slight bite of the lavender evens the taste out.

7. Tropical Paradise

Tropical Paradise is the smoothie choice for people who may not like red fruits as much. It is light on the taste buds and super refreshing. It contains banana, mango, guava and pineapple and is a nice choice for a warm day.

6. Blueberry

Probably the fruit tea I see ordered most often, blueberry is a classic that can’t go wrong. Its rich flavor goes well with any topping and doesn’t stray away from the actual berry’s taste.

5. Passion Fruit

The most refreshing flavored tea at Bubbles, nothing beats a cold Passion Fruit tea on a sunny, hot day. If you’re not one for milk teas, passion fruit is good tea. It's a sweet option and can make you feel tropical in one sip.

4. Chocolate

Although you may get some strange looks when ordering Chocolate milk tea, it’s a safe option if you’re a little picky about your drinks. A bit like glorified chocolate milk, chocolate milk tea at Bubbles is consistent every time and never disappoints. 

3. Taro

A classic milk tea for any bubble tea shop, taro is a plant native to Southeast Asia and looks almost like a purple yam. The taste of taro could be compared to leaving the Lucky Charms cereal marshmallows in milk for too long. If you have a sweet tooth yet don’t like things too sugary, this drink is for you.

2. Tropical Temptation

The best smoothie that Bubbles offers. Even though the orange sherbet makes the drink super sweet, the guava, passion fruit and strawberry balance it. Tropical Temptation can transport anyone to the beach and summertime with its delicious flavors.

1. Almond

This milk tea can pair well with anything. The almond taste is subtle and doesn’t leave you feeling full or gross from the sugar content. If you're a tea fan and want to switch up your drink game, almond is a good place to start. It’s not overwhelming and is a good start for people just entering the world of bubble tea.

@mimi_calhoun

mc300120@ohio.edu