Fresh Finds: Harry Styles stuns fans with “As It Was"; Red Hot Chili Peppers releases first album in 6 years

Within the past week, we’ve all been blessed with plenty of quality music. The Red Hot Chili Peppers released its new album, Unlimited Love, and Harry Styles teased his upcoming album, Harry’s House, with the release of his new single, “As It Was.”

While everyone has their favorite genre of music, we’ve made a playlist that will appeal to any mood or preference. Below are new songs that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around in your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. Here are five new songs to get you through the week:

“made for you” by Renforshort

In an interview with NME, Renforshort said “made for you” is about changing your entire personality to fit another person’s standards. The lyrics support this persona, stating, “Just wanted to get close to you / I’ll be whoever you want me to except for being myself.” All on an angsty guitar solo and visual video, this track takes you back to high school when you felt pressured to alter your personality for that one special someone to reciprocate feelings.

”Leave You Alone” by Ella Mai

This song rings true to the recent ‘80s trend in music. With wobbly synths and drum beats, this is a story in which the good girl has gone wild by love and infatuation. Offering another side of the difficulties in a situationship, the lyrics give us a new perspective: "Make me act a fool for you, fool in love / I drown in us, all over you.”

"Leave You Alone" is a part of Mai's upcoming sophomore album, Heart On My Sleeve, which releases May 6.

Unlimited Love by The Red Hot Chili Peppers

After a six-year hiatus, The Red Hot Chili Peppers are back with its new album, Unlimited Love, continuing the sound that’s familiar to fans. Unlimited Love is the band’s 12th studio album and consists of 17 songs.

In an interview with NME, the Chili Peppers mentioned this album as “the biggest event that was the most monumental change in our lives.” After rekindling with guitarist John Frusciante, his special contributions make songs such as "Black Summer" and "Veronica" bring back the nostalgic feel of the older classics, such as “Under the Bridge” and “Californication.”

"Sugar” by Surf Curse

Surf Curse, an American surf rock band, returns after a two-year hiatus with its new single, “Sugar.” Best known for its single “Freaks,” Surf Curse takes a new direction. The song includes a music video produced by principal members of the band Nick Rattigan and Jacob Rubeck, in which they perform the song on their little late-night show.

“As It Was” by Harry Styles

Harry Styles fans, rejoice. The highly anticipated single from his upcoming album, Harry’s House, has finally arrived. Styles joins artists such as The Weeknd and Dua Lipa by staying in the ‘80s trend of music right now that is sizzling hot. Per the trend happening on TikTok currently, “As It Was” evokes a sense of personal conflict and reflecting on the past parts of ourselves. Users on the social platform have been using the chorus of the song to show their personal transitions over the course of the past few years.

In a recent interview with Rolling Stone, Styles says it’s one of the most emotionally powerful songs he’s ever done. He faces personal transitions with the lyrics: “In this world, it’s just us / You know it’s not the same as it was.” The song is the lead track on Styles’ upcoming new album, due out May 20.

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu