Fresh Finds Friday: Big Time Rush releases first single in nearly a decade; Kygo, DNCE sonically channel the 70's

Within the past few weeks, British singer Bakar released his first album of 2022 and Big Time Rush returned from an eight-year hiatus. Also, this past week saw songs released from EARTHGANG and Swedish House Mafia. As we fully return from spring break, we could all use some new music to help power through the weekend. Luckily, we found some tunes to keep you energized during these long days and long nights. 

While everyone has their favorite genre of music, we’ve made a playlist that will appeal to any mood or preference. Below are new songs that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around in your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. Here are 5 new songs to get you through the week:

“Not Giving You Up” by Big Time Rush 

Big Time Rush is back for the first time in eight years since they’ve last released music, marking a new era for the band. Even better, they have released tour dates for their upcoming world tour, Forever Tour.

“Not Giving You Up” comes as a defining moment for many people who’ve grown up with the show BTR and might be rekindling their crushes for the members: Logan Henderson, Kendall Schmidt, Carlos PenaVega and James Maslow.

Henderson stated, “I am excited for fans to hear a whole new sound from Big Time Rush.” 

“Build Me a Way” by Bakar

Bakar released his sophomore album, Nobody’s Home. The artist is best known for his break out in 2019 with his hit single “Hell N Back.” On this album, sense of place and identity are the keystrokes with “Build Me a Way,” including the lyrics: “Build me away home.”

Home is still being made spiritual more than geographical, which is a possible reference to his childhood mother relocating from Tanzania to London and trying to find home in a place not native to her. Nobody’s Home hammers the themes of finding identity and self with songs of love and questioning.

“Redlight” by Swedish House Mafia, Sting

Since rejoining forces in 2018, Swedish House Mafia has been releasing tons of new music. Songs like "It Gets Better" and "Moth To A Flame" both released and topped charts quickly in 2021. Their newest addition is "Redlight," featuring a sample from the iconic Police song, "Roxanne." This is a perfect track for your pregaming ritual or a song you can play for your mom who can assess whether it’s a proper rendition of the 80’s classic song.

”Dancing Feet” by Kygo, DNCE 

Kygo teamed up with DNCE, the band behind the iconic 2016 song “Cake By The Ocean,” for “Dancing Feet.” This track is an glittering tribute to the 70’s disco era with the lyrics: “Cause these dancing feet don’t cry to the rhythm, they cry for you / And every Saturday night that you ain’t here, my tears are blue.” The music video released along with the song boasts a 70’s aesthetic that takes place at a tropical destination with white suits and style. Watch the music video here.

”Power” by EARTHGANG, CeeLo Green, Nick Cannon

The Atlanta hip hop duo EARTHGANG tends to cover serious topics that gain a lot of ground with their various singles and albums in 2020. Their recent album, Spilligion, is exploring faith and spirituality in Black culture, being most memorable this time around with GHETTO GODS. EARTHGANG covers how the COVID-19 pandemic and police brutality plagues the bottom line. CeeLo Green does justice for the message with his earth shattering vocals. 

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu