(Photo provided via @IndieWire)

6 of the best hidden shows, films on Netflix

As most of us know, Netflix was the one of the original streaming services. Nowadays, it’s basically a crime if you don't have a Netflix subscription. However, as the streaming service market expanded and platforms like Hulu and HBO Max grew in popularity, Netflix started to lose its luster. The decline of great content coupled with their recent price increase to nearly $16 a month feels like the beginning of Netflix’s downfall. But it isn’t a lost cause just yet — there’s many shows that people have yet to discover. While everyone knows about hits like Bridgerton and Stranger Things, there are some real hidden gems to be discovered on Netflix. From independent films to shows that simply did not get enough hype, here are some of Netflix’s best kept selections:

1.    Have A Good Trip

This documentary is something special. It was super hyped up when it first came out, but that was short-lived, and not enough people are talking about it anymore. It tells the story of tons of celebrities from Carrie Fisher to A$AP Rocky, sitting down and telling their stories about what it was like when they tried psychedelic drugs for the first time. As they tell their experiences, what they describe is shown as a cartoon that is being narrated by the celebrity. The documentary does a great job at not glorifying the use of psychedelics recreationally, while also keeping an overall lighthearted tone. It is whimsical and hilarious, and absolutely worth a watch.

2.    First Match

This is a Netflix Original movie that did not get nearly enough love as other Netflix originals have gotten. This film is a beautiful coming-of-age story about Monique (Elvire Emanuelle), who joins her all-male high school wrestling team in an attempt to create a relationship with her estranged father. Its overarching themes are about acceptance and overcoming adversity, which are ever important messages to remember in today’s world.

3.    The Lovebirds

As someone who doesn’t enjoy cheesy rom-coms, this one is absolutely glorious. It gives you all of those fuzzy feelings that a rom-com typically has, without making you want to roll your eyes every 5 seconds. It stars comedians Kumail Nanjiani and Issa Rae, as they get mixed up in an accidental murder mystery that puts a huge strain on their already rocky relationship. The story is heartwarming, fun and is obviously comedic gold with Nanjiani and Rae as the stars.

4.    Hollywood

If you love drama, this is the show for you. Another example of something that got a lot of exposure and hype when it first came out, but it died out and got lost in the sea of other Netflix Originals. It centers around the glitzy and glamorous aesthetic of the “Old Hollywood” era, while also focusing on the drama involved in the dark underbelly of the movie industry.

5.   Barry

When I first heard about this movie, I immediately thought people were talking about the hit HBO dark comedy show starring Bill Hader. Let’s just say, I could not have been more incorrect. This movie is about the life of former U.S. President Barack Obama. What makes it different from every other biopic about Obama’s life is that it centers only around his college years. Many people said it felt more like an '80s coming-of-age film rather than the story of one of our presidents. This is a super interesting watch that also tells a very important story.

6.    Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Taika Waititi is the director of quite a few absolutely iconic movies such as Thor: Ragnarok, Jojo Rabbit and What We Do in the Shadows. He also directed this movie, which did not get the same traction and widespread acclaim as some of his other films have, even though it absolutely deserves it. The movie stars Sam Neill who plays Hec, a grumpy old man who gets lost with a delinquent child (Julian Dennison) in the New Zealand bush. What ensues is a zany, irreverent adventure that leads to lots of laughs, and it is definitely worth checking out if you like to crack up.

@ErionEmma

ee646020@ohio.edu

Emma Erion

Managing Editor