Ohio University softball teams bench celebrating after a big out in the second inning against Ohio State at Ohio Softball Field in Athens, Ohio, on March 22, 2022.

Softball: Ohio hosts three-game series against Akron

Ohio is slated to play its second Mid-American Conference home series of the season this week against Akron, and just like the first series against Bowling Green, this one will likely be impacted by weather.

The Bobcats have already moved the time of Tuesday’s game forward, and the status of Wednesday’s doubleheader has yet to be determined.

On the field, Ohio is coming off a series against Miami in which it took two of three games against the MAC’s top team. The wins lifted it to 4-4 in conference play, and Ohio might be able to capitalize on the wins. All three of its previous conference opponents were ahead of it in the standings, and its schedule is now starting to lighten up.

Here is everything you need to know about Ohio’s midweek series:

Game Information

Opponent: Akron

Venue: Ohio Softball Field

Dates and Times: April 5 at 2 p.m. and April 6 at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.

Live Stats: Live stats can be followed here.

Meet the Opponent

Individual Statistics Leaders

Batting average: Molly McChesney (.382)

OPS: Jaiden Bryant (.866)

Hits: McChesney (29)

Home runs: Bryant and Laurel DeVoe (4)

RBI: Tiffany Stevens (14)

Innings pitched: Lexie Petrof (60)

ERA: Emily Farlin (2.40)

Strikeouts: Petrof (46)

Notes

Akron is 10-19 overall after facing a difficult nonconference schedule, but it has turned things around in conference play. Akron is currently 5-3 against conference opponents and sits at fifth place in the standings.

Series History

Ohio lost its last game to Akron on April 28, 2021, which ended its 10-game winning streak in the series that stretched across the previous four seasons.

The two schools have traded win streaks over the course of the rivalry, and Ohio will need to stop Akron from starting a new one.

@willocunningham

wc425318@ohio.edu