Ohio's Atiya Spaulding runs in 200m dash at Ohio Track and Field's Cherry Blossom Invitational on April 7, 2018. (FILE)

Track and Field: Ohio places 12th in Cincinnati invitational

The Bobcats traveled to Cincinnati for the two-day Oliver Nikoloff Invitational over the weekend as one of 20 teams competing in nearly 40 events hosted by the Bearcats.

The meet took place Friday and Saturday, and at its conclusion Saturday afternoon, the Bobcats finished in 12th place with 19 points scored over three total events. Cincinnati was declared the winner with a total score of 210 points, followed by Miami in second place with 105 points and Dayton in third scoring 83 points.

Though Ohio struggled in both track and field events, it found some bright spots during the meet.

The most notable accomplishment for Ohio was Hailey Bowes’ first place finish in the 5000-meter race. Bowes finished with a personal best time of 16 minutes and 56.24 seconds in the event.

Additionally, Ohio managed to place in three more events: the 3000-meter steeplechase, the 800-meter race and discus. Carina Weaver placed seventh in the 3000-meter steeplechase, clocking in at 11:17.81. Stephanie Pierce then placed sixth in her event, the 800-meter run, with a time of 2:13.69. Rachel Simpson later threw a distance of 44.11 meters in the discus throw, earning her fifth place.

Following their performance in Cincinnati, the Bobcats have a two-week period with no meets in preparation for their upcoming home meet Saturday, April 16.

@AlexImwalle

ai687120@ohio.edu