13 Reasons Why was adapted into a 2017 drama series (Photo provided by The Guardian).

Here's 5 young adult novels you forgot about

Reading books are a staple of middle school and high school education. Back before phones and the internet were more prevalent today, young adult, or YA, novels were the backbone of entertainment for teenagers. From The Hunger Games to Divergent, YA books have made their mark in the memories and nostalgia of those growing up in their teen years from 2010 to 2015. Let’s take a step back in time and visit 5 young adult novels you forgot about:

Matched by Ally Condie

A trilogy by Ally Condie, Matched tells the story of a dystopian society that matches 17-year-olds with life-long partners when they come of age. The main character is Cassia Reyes, a well off girl who has abided by the rules she’s grown up with and soon realizes that not everything she’s known is true, especially when the match that she’s been waiting for all her life may not be who she thinks it is.

The Selection by Kiera Cass 

The Selection is the book that combines The Hunger Games and The Bachelor. The Selection is a three-book series with multiple spin-offs about a girl named American Singer and her life in a society ruled by a caste system. A competition occurs when the royal family is in search of a wife for their son, Prince Maxon, and thirty-five girls are chosen to participate.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Arguably the YA book of the century, The Fault in Our Stars details a love story between Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters, two teen cancer patients. The story is a heartbreaking coming-of-age plot with lessons of living life to the fullest and the hardships of letting go. This book was a generational reset for nearly every teen girl in the 2010s.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

Another story with sickness and themes of death, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl has comedic timing that could be considered dark humor but a light-heartedness of teenage life. It’s a relatable story of the difficulties of growing up and navigating friendship. Like The Fault in Our Stars, there’s lessons of moving on and letting go. 

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher 

A YA novel that ended up being both a controversial movie and TV series, Thirteen Reasons Why is a depressing and sadly realistic storyline of the struggles of mental health as a teenager. Through the perspective of Clay, readers learn about Hannah Baker, Clay’s classmate that took her own life and left cassette tapes for people she went to school with. The book eventually was made into a TV show with lots of criticism and backlash from parents.

@mimi_calhoun

mc300120@ohio.edu