There’s something for everyone in each country, so we’re here to tell you five unique places in Central Asia to visit for your next trip. (Photo provided by matadornetwork.com via Pinterest).

Here’s 5 unique places to visit in Central Asia

When searching for your next place to visit, destination locations may get repetitive and boring. Step out of the ordinary by exploring Central Asia and the various scenic spots to explore. Central Asia consists of Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan and Turkmenistan, which used to be Soviet republics. The areas consist of many mountains, forests and lakes as well as historic architecture with a history dating centuries back. 

There’s something for everyone in each country, so we’re here to tell you five unique places in Central Asia to visit for your next trip:

Visit The Registan in Samarkand, Uzbekistan

A well-known tourist site in Central Asia, the Registan was considered to be the center of Samarkand during the Timurid Empire. The public square marked a halfway point on the Silk Road route between Europe and Asia, and the square is deemed one of the world’s most recognized mosques. The name also means “sandy place” in Persian.

Spend time outside at Karkaraly National Park in Karkaraly, Kazakhstan

With about 223,000 acres of land, Karkaraly National Park offers a wide variety of beautiful scenes for one to explore. To get to Karkaraly, the drive is about two and a half to three hours from Karaganda, the capital of the Karaganda region. From forests to springs, there are plenty of photography, hiking and camping opportunities.

Explore Lake Iskanderkul in Tajikistan

See nature in a new light by going to Iskanderkul lake in the Fann Mountains. One of the largest glacial lakes in northwest Tajikistan, there’s plenty of space to hike, camp and swim. Isanderkul is also a great spot for birdwatchers, as the reserve was identified as an Important Bird and Diversity Area by BirdLife International.

Admire Dungan Mosque in Karakol, Kyrgyzstan

If you’re an architecture fanatic, take the time to see Dugan Mosque. Made completely without nails, the bright wooden mosque was built by Chinese Muslims who fled persecution in the 1800s. It’s the only example of Chinese architecture in Karakol and also a registered historical building.

Feel the heat at Darvaza gas crater in Derweze, Turkmenistan

Deemed as the “Door to Hell” or the “Gates of Hell,” Darvaza gas crater is one of the largest gas reserves in the world. The collapsed cavern is a natural burning gas field with fire, boiling mud and orange flames in the center of the crater. Discovered in 1971, the crater has been burning for more than 50 years.

@mimi_calhoun

mc300120@ohio.edu