Cutler Hall on College Green.

Dean of graduate college, vice president for research and creative activity announces plans to leave OU

Ohio University announced Thursday that Joe Shields, dean of the Graduate College and vice president for research and creative activity, will be stepping down from his position and leaving OU come June 12. 

Shields has filled these roles since 2011 and has accepted a position as director of the Large Binocular Telescope Observatory at the University of Arizona, according to a university news release.

Originally starting at OU in 1996, Shields served as an assistant professor of physics and astronomy. Since then, he served as a tenured professor in the department of physics and astronomy and chair of the department. He was also interim dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at OU. 

“During his time at OHIO, Joe has fostered a strong legacy of excellence in scholarship and research, resulting in national recognition for innovation and economic development,” OU President Hugh Sherman said. 

This year, under his leadership as vice president for research, OU earned “Research 1” status, which is the highest classification for research institutions. 

OU is accepting applications for interim vice president for research and creative activity until May 31. 

@mollywmarie

mw542219@ohio.edu 

Molly Wilson

News Editor