Weekender Briefs: Enjoy the taste of Athens, support performers

Friday, May 13

The King of Limbs: Radiohead Live from the Basement will play for free at Donkey Coffee, 17 W. Washington St., at 8 p.m. Come see Radiohead’s 2011 live video album and enjoy some local coffee.

Admission: Free

A Cruise-In and Bean Supper will take place at the Plains Lions Club, 65 Connett Rd. from 5 p.m. until 8 p.m. Hosted by the Plains Community Park, the cruise-in celebrates the Plains Volunteer Fire Department, Actually Trustees and Athens Township Trustee Workers. The event will award plaques to the winning cars and offer bean soup and cornbread. 

Admission: Free

Backwords Band will perform at Eclipse Company Store, 11309 Jackson Dr. from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m. They will serenade audiences with classic rock tunes. Attendees are encouraged to dance and enjoy food and drinks.

Admission: Free

Saturday, May 14

Taste of Athens County Food Festival on W. State St. from 2 p.m. until 9 p.m. Sponsored by the Tri-County Career Center and River Willow Culinary, the event celebrates Athens food culture with live food demonstrations, food, vendors and activities for all. 

Admission: Free

Athens County Recycle Day will be held at the Athens County Fairgrounds from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. Sponsored by the Athens-Hocking Solid Waste District, this event invites Athens locals to bring recyclable materials. Participants are asked to stay in their car, and the event will also accept scrap metal, mattresses, household items and medical equipment. 

Admission: Free, although some items do cost money, to be paid in cash

Ernie Johnson from Detroit and HELLNAW take The Union, 18 W. Union St., at 8 p.m. Doors open at 7 p.m. for this performance presented by Blackout Booking. Enjoy some afrobeat funk-jazz at this exciting concert.

Admission: Free

A Walking Tour of the Historic Athens Asylum will take place from 2 p.m. until 4 p.m. at the Ridges, 100 Ridges Circle. This tour invites participants to tour the famous asylum. Led by long-time Asylum employee and local expert George Eberts, the two-hour tour will provide insightful information and hidden secrets. 

Admission: Students with a student ID are $10, Southeast Ohio History Center members are $15, non-member adults are $18 and kids 12 and under are free

Sunday, May 15

The first Death Cafe premiers from 3 p.m. until 5 p.m. at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Athens, 184 Longview Heights Rd. Hosted by the Southeast Ohio Natural Burial Working Group, the outdoor and socially distant event offers a safe space to discuss mortality and end-of-life planning. Open to the first 30 email RSVPs to SEOhioDeathCafes@gmail.com

Admission: Free

Botanizing by Bike event will take place from 1 p.m. until 3 p.m. at the Beaumont-Salina Trailhead Hockhocking Adena Bikeway. This 10-mile bike tour is good for any level of cyclist. Local naturalist Dan Jones shares his knowledge and passion for the natural world. Helmets are required.

Admission: $30

@katie_millard11

km053019@ohio.edu

Katie Millard

Editor-in-Chief