People and Planet: The realities of a post-Roe world

On the morning of June 24, I walked to my car to head home after a night spent with friends. 

My phone died, so I plugged it in, rolled my windows down and sat sleepily but content in my car among the quiet summer air and birdsong, trying to remember what time I worked later and considering what music to listen to on the way home.

Then I saw my notifications. 

Roe v. Wade was overturned. Suddenly, it was no longer just another day, but one of those days that you remember exactly where you were when you received the news of the event that changed the trajectory of your life.

In the U.S., someone is sexually assaulted every 68 seconds. Those between the ages of 12 and 34 are at the highest risk.

In Ohio, the heartbeat bill outlaws abortion even in cases of rape and incest, meaning that if an 11-year-old was raped, they would be expected to carry the pregnancy to term. As though the trauma of being raped as a young child is not enough, they would be pregnant in fifth grade and give birth the summer before starting middle school. But anti-abortion activists claim to care about the baby and the mother, right?

There are various other reasons that someone may get an abortion, and as uncomfortable as it makes some people, all reasons are valid. This is regardless of if you are raped or if you are simply a 20-something that doesn't want to derail their entire life for doing something almost every person on earth does: have sex without the intention of getting pregnant. 

It shouldn't have to be only an insidious conception that warrants an abortion. 

Forcing one to give birth, regardless of how fit to carry a child someone is deemed by an ancient dude on Capitol Hill that just will not retire, is not only unethical but painfully and strategically ignorant. 

And unfortunately, it is almost certainly going to get worse from here.

If forcing an elementary school child to carry the fetus conceive through rape isn't bad enough, there is also a consistent movement from anti-abortion activists toward banning individuals from traveling to receive an abortion and even getting an abortion classified as a homicide

So, if this 11-year-old child's parents wished to marginally ease her suffering by taking her across state lines to receive treatment, there could be a bounty of sorts on their heads.

As our status quickly sinks from a sovereign being to a mindless vessel, many capable of pregnancy are turning to contraceptives for some sense of control. However, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas wants nothing more than to take this small comfort away from us, proposing that the court revisits the constitutionality of contraception, as well as the right for same-sex couples to marry.

As long as the makeup of the Supreme Court remains the same, there is not much we can do. The implications of Roe v. Wade's overturning are dark, far-reaching, and inescapable. All we can do for now is hold on.

Meg Diehl is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Tell Meg by tweeting her at @irlbug. 

Megan Diehl

Assistant Opinion Editor