When it comes to studying in particular, you need music that will energize, motivate and lift your spirits. Illustration by Lauren Adams.

10 songs to make the ultimate study playlist

Ah, the beginning of the school year. As the dog days of summer slowly come to a close and the reality of late night mental breakdowns and tedious study sessions in Alden Library steadily come to the forefront, it’s clear that there needs to be a playlist to calm all of our fall semester nerves.

When it comes to studying in particular, you need music that will energize, motivate and lift your spirits, so here are 10 songs to make for the ultimate study playlist this fall:

“BIZCOCHITO” by Rosalia

If you’ve been an active member of the TikTok community lately, you know exactly the energy this song brings. With only a one-minute and 49-second run-time, “BIZCOCHITO” is a fast-paced rollercoaster, full of bumping bass and Rosalia’s impeccable rap-like verses that will snap you out of that study haze. Definitely start off with this song as it is a quirky, fun, pop song that brings Pop Latino music to center stage. 

“VIRGO’S GROOVE” by Beyonce

Fresh off her seventh solo studio album, RENAISSANCE, this song is perfect if you’re looking for a 1970s disco-tech vibe. “VIRGO’S GROOVE” is a lengthy track, but will make the time go fast as you’re reading through a 20-page article or going through Quizlet flashcards in the depths of midnight. Overall, Beyonce’s voice will cure your tiredness and encourage you to get up and grab another cup of coffee and grind your way through that intimidating assignment.

“Tek It (Sped Up)” by Cafune

This is another fast-paced song that will allow any student to find the light at the end of the tunnel, especially after chipping away at a 15-page paper. A song about being totally infatuated with someone, “Tek It (Sped Up)” will cause you to take a moment and reminiscence on someone important in your life, and maybe that can become your motivation to push towards the finish line of your study session.

“Your Best American Girl” by Mitski

While Mitski’s voice is barely heard in the first 30 seconds of the song, “Your Best American Girl” builds on a crescendo, slowly causing listeners to lift their heads, stop what they’re doing and wonder what’s next from Mitski herself. As the chorus blares into your ears, it’ll bring you back to life, possibly encouraging you to get up and stretch or take a quick walk around your study space.

“Want Want” by Maggie Rogers

Don’t worry, even though you’re halfway through this stacked tracklist, “Want Want” won’t bring down the go-lucky, enthusiastic tone of its predecessors. In particular, this song contains wailing guitars, screeching vocals and Rogers' charisma, which will make your head bop up and down by the end of it. If you need a pick-me-up, even after several doses of caffeine, this is the song for you.

“Bad Habit” by Steve Lacy

I know what you’re thinking… another TikTok song? But honestly, “Bad Habit” is the relaxed, upbeat song you’ll need to relieve some stress after a long night. Lacy’s voice is mesmerizing, filling your ears with sweet harmonies and lyrics that will transport you to a different place. If you need a song that reminds you of the sweetness of summer love, this must be added to your playlist immediately!

“Daylight” by Harry Styles

Following the cool, sensual tone of “Bad Habit,” Harry Styles is the right transition into fully overcoming that mid-study slump. “Daylight” sounds like you’re walking the sunshine-filled streets of your favorite city, magically escaping into a state of bliss. A song that will easily make you swoon and smile, Styles’ charisma and subtle production will make you want to get up and take a much-needed stretch, while also shaking out all the tiredness from before.

“Vroom Vroom” by Charli XCX

As you near the end of your study session, “Vroom Vroom” might just be the song that gets you to the finish line, hence the title. As Charli XCX sings of being a confident, strong and powerful woman, any listener will also see this tone start to rub off onto themselves, causing one to tackle assignments with ease. It’s a song that is so fast and furious, you won’t realize the hardest part of the night is over.

“Clocks” by Coldplay

While “Vroom Vroom” is a much-needed addition to any study playlist, Coldplay is also another band that is amazing at calming one’s nerves, especially the night before a major exam. “Clocks” has a lot of instrumentals playing in the background, but Chris Martin’s smooth voice almost makes it sounds like you’re being gently reassured to keep going, even if it is reaching midnight.

“State of Grace (Taylor’s Version)” by Taylor Swift

Lastly, Taylor Swift is essential to ending any study playlist. “State of Grace (Taylor’s Version)” is not as boisterous or eccentric as some of the other songs previously listed, but is great to play in the background when you need a song that is reassuring and tells a story. Overall, this song will want you to find your inner peace, as well as signal the end of your study session.

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu