Athens County Board of Elections office at 15 S Court St. in Athens, Ohio.

Results: Ohio special primary election

Ohio held a special primary election Tuesday for the Ohio House of Representatives, the Ohio Senate, the Democratic and Republican state central committees and various local issues. 

Athens voters did not have issues to vote on, but did vote in all applicable state races. Each party put forward candidates for state representatives for Ohio’s 94th District, male candidates for Ohio’s 30th District of the State central committee and female candidates for Ohio’s 30th District of the State central committee.

Of 38,701 registered voters, only 2,021 ballots were cast in Athens County.

For the Republican party, the Athens County unofficial results as of 10:30 p.m. Tuesday are as follows:

Incumbent Jay Edwards, R-Nelsonville, was the only Republican candidate running for the 94th District’s state representative seat and received 100% of 734 votes cast.

Nichole Hunter and LeeAnn Johnson went head-to-head to be the Republican candidate for the women’s state central committee seat. Johnson won with 56.03% of the vote.

Jim Carnes and Shannon L. Walker ran against each other for the Republican men’s state central committee seat nomination. Carnes came out ahead with 57.82% of the vote. 

For the Democratic party, the Athens County unofficial results as of 10:30 p.m. Tuesday are as follows:

Each race had only one candidate and each received 100% of the vote.

Rhyan Goodman will be the Democratic candidate in the 94th district’s state representative general election in November.

Karla D. Gregory-Martin will be the Democratic candidate in the 30th District of the Women’s State central committee and John Haseley will be the Democratic candidate in the 30th District of the Men’s State central committee in the general election in November.

@AnnaMillar16

am157219@ohio.edu