Clearly, OneRepublic still knows how to put on a show and impress fans of all ages with their extensive musical catalog. From old songs to new ones, the band left their mark on Blossom’s stage and reminded their audience that their talent is unmatched compared to most bands (Photo provided via Grace Koennecke).

Concert Review: OneRepublic reminds fans of the magic they hold at Blossom Music Center

Many are probably surprised that OneRepublic is still together after 15 years. Despite being notoriously mistaken for One Direction, their longevity is attributed to the amazing bond the band members hold with one another.

Though pop-rock band hasn’t toured since the release of their 2016 album, Oh My My, they announced their Never Ending Summer Tour this past February.

For not touring for six years, OneRepublic didn’t lose its stage presence. Members Ryan Tedder, Eddie Fisher, Brent Kutzle, Zach Filkins, Drew Brown and Brian Willett performed for fans at Blossom Music Center, playing their most famous songs as well as their current releases.

At 9 p.m., fans could hear the opening to “Kids,” a lead single from Oh My My, accompanied by flashing orange lights and visuals of a cross-country road trip. Tedder strutted around on stage with his guitar, his vocals perfectly in tune with the track. Soon, the track led into one of their more well-known songs, “Good Life,” which created a nostalgic atmosphere for the crowd as they cheered along to the chorus. 

After these two songs, Tedder took a moment to say hello to the crowd, telling the story of how the first show OneRepublic ever played was at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. The singer also brought a touch of humor to his anecdote, admitting that the state is quite beautiful to drive through, even though Ohio is one of the various laughing stocks of the U.S.

As this moment faded, the band began playing “Stop and Stare,” their second No.1 single. You could hear the echoing of the lyrics, fans shouting, “Stop and stare / I think I’m moving, but I go nowhere / Yeah, I know that everyone gets scared / But I become what I can’t be” as the light show turned from a radiant orange to chilling blue.

“Rescue Me,” the lead single from their most recent album, Human, came next. Following was one of the band’s best songs, “Secrets.” The first song got the crowd jumping up and down as Tedder urged fans to clap along to the beat. Meanwhile, Kutzle played a beautiful cello solo leading into the next song, adding in hints of the melody from “Au Revoir,” a track from their widely successful 2014 album, Native

Unbeknownst to the Cuyahoga Falls crowd, OneRepublic played “Wherever I Go” and “Love Runs Out,” where fans saw Tedder pull out his extensive piano-playing skills, as well as take a risky dive off the instrument. 

Tedder once again surprised fans by revealing he would take a moment to play the various songs he’s written for other artists, as he is a major producer and songwriter currently. Many fans were shocked to discover that he wrote Beyonce’s “Halo” and Lil Nas X’s “THAT’S WHAT I WANT,” as well as Adele’s “Rumour Has It” and Leona Lewis’ “Bleeding Love.” All in all, it was an interesting segment of the concert, something completely unique to the concert-going experience. 

Following this came “Feel Again,” a heartfelt song about falling in love again after years of not finding the right person. As fans in the crowd hugged their loved ones, it was one of the many emotional moments of the show. 

“I Ain’t Worried,” a song the band wrote for the recent Top Gun sequel, was one of the most fun parts of the show, even including a special video shoutout from Tom Cruise himself. According to the actor, the song only took one day for the band to write and record.

The mood changed once Tedder returned to the piano for arguably their most popular song, “Apologize,” as his vocals invited listeners into a toxic relationship. The singer urged the crowd to harmonize the song, stopping midway to create a call and response with fans, which actually worked.

As gloomy and sad as “Apologize” live was, “I Lived” helped lift fans’ spirits as the band reflected on their lives, in and outside of being musicians. As tears streamed down my own face, the crowd shouted the lyrics word for word, with Tedder smiling back at fans.

Running off stage, fans thought the set was done, but were mistaken as Tedder sang the intro to “Counting Stars” backstage, with no lights on. As the song continued, white light illuminated the amphitheater, and fans could finally see the singer running through the crowd, interacting with the crowd. 

Lastly, the band finished with the electronic-pop magic of “If I Lose Myself,” where Fisher and Brown banged away at a huge drum as Tedder sang impressive high notes. Confetti shooting into the air within the final seconds of the track, it was the perfect way to end a two-hour setlist.

Clearly, OneRepublic still knows how to put on a show and impress fans of all ages with their extensive musical catalog. From old songs to new ones, the band left their mark on Blossom’s stage and reminded their audience that their talent is unmatched compared to most bands.

Rating: 5/5

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu