Abbey Townsend (16) dribbles the ball around a Buffalo defender on Sept. 23, 2021.

Soccer: Ohio battles for 0-0 draw with No. 24 Xavier

On a wet and rainy night, Ohio took on the 24th ranked team in the country, Xavier. The game resulted in a 0-0 draw. This was the Bobcat’s second game of the new season after a loss to Duquesne on Thursday.  

Ohio was on the short end of a lopsided margin in terms of shots as Xavier had 15 while Ohio only had four. Ohio was more efficient with its shots, however, as half of them were on target while only four of the Musketeers’ 15 were on target.  

Freshman Celeste Sloma, from Columbus, Ohio, was in goal for the Bobcats. After giving up two goals Thursday, Sloma performed strongly giving up no goals with four saves.  

Ohio was also outnumbered in corners as Xavier had six to Ohio’s one. Five of the six corners came in the first half for Xavier as there was only one combined corner from both sides in the second half.  

Another freshman performed strongly for the Bobcats as Eve Berish recorded two shots with one of them being on goal. Redshirt senior Haley Miller and junior Shae Robertson each recorded a shot,with Robertson’s being on goal.

In a night that was prolonged by rain, the Bobcats had an incessant energy to their play and fought hard in this battle against a ranked opponent.  

Ohio returns to action next Sunday at 7 p.m. in Huntington, West Virginia, to take on Marshall. The Bobcats will play their home opener the following week at 1 p.m. against the Virginia Military Institute.  

@officialelij 

ej358918@ohio.edu