The Pest: How to do the first week of classes right

Welcome back, Bobcats. 

There’s trash lining Mill Street and the dining halls are packed. This can only mean one thing: it’s the first week of class at Ohio University. 

Everyone’s heart is racing for this week and it is not uncommon to have the jitters for a 100-person lecture. Heck, it’s not uncommon to have them for a 10-person lab full of people you know. However, at some point, you have to realize that those tingles are probably just a lingering nicotine buzz. 

There is nothing to be worried about at all. There are so many ways to make these years the best of your life. 

First, try to make some friends during your first week on campus. It will be nice to have people to eat dinner with, even if it is the random person who held your legs up for a keg stand. Who knows, maybe you’ll be at each other’s weddings someday.

When it comes to meals, don’t use those precious meal swipes for actual meals. Spend every single penny at the market. It’s time to build your tolerance for microwavable foods because once you live in off-campus housing, you’ll need a change from the two foods you know how to cook. 

Second, dress to impress. Wear that Shein halter top or that Bass Pro Shops hat with pride. Everyone you meet will know how cool you are because you made this fashion-forward choice. You’ll be the belle of the bar for sure. 

Speaking of bars, go to Court Street as much as you can. Networking is important these days, and the bricks are the best place to do it. However, just know that if they smell like a freshman, they most likely are. 

If that freshman is you, why? There’s more to the OU experience than puking in a random bathroom. Explore the area around you. Understand that you are in fact, Toto and you are not in Kansas anymore. Let reality smack you in the face. 

The involvement fair is a great place to get a well-needed reality check. There’s so many individuals in organizations there who have their lives sorted out. Clearly, if you aren’t one of them, you’re behind. Join everything you think might be interesting and your inbox will remind you that you did. 

But, in all seriousness, the biggest thing to do is to not hold back in your first week. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. Find your passion and pursue it. Remember, Bobcats help Bobcats.

OU? Oh yeah. 

The Pest is a satirical column and does not reflect the views of The Post.