Paper City Players to perform new rendition of timeless classic

Jane Austen’s beloved novel, "Pride and Prejudice," has undergone many adaptations since its publication in 1813. From zombies to British television series, the tale has undergone some serious modifications.

Despite all these different interpretations, one thing remained the same: the message. Overarching themes of love, class struggle and gender conformity remain untouched. The story is beloved for its timelessness while maintaining the ability to be reimagined.

Matthew Harper and the cast of Paper City Players hope to continue the history of cherished adaptations while executing their own vision and adding their own touch.

Paper City Players is a community theater group founded by Harper and his wife, Amanda, four years ago. The theater group is full of all ages, ranging from teenagers to seniors.

“This is a community theater,” Harper said. “All walks of life are welcome and open to this.”

The specific adaptation Paper City Players will perform was created by Katie Hamill. The small cast of 12 characters adds an element of simplicity, as does the conservative set.

“It’s going to be a minimalistic set,” Harper said. “This is something we enjoy as well. We want the acting of the theater, the theatrics, to shine, not the furniture. We want the story to come through with the acting.”

Another element that is different about this retelling is the traditional gender roles. The role of Mr. Collins is played by a gender fluid person, and the role of Mary is played by a male-presenting actor.

Aleigh Papagno, a first year graduate student studying piano performance and pedagogy, has read the original story and enjoys it, but thinks the tale would benefit from new changes.

“I like the idea of giving classics a new, modern spin,” Papagno said.

Jordan Vandecar, a freshman studying psychology, agrees with Papagno and sees an advantage to rethinking old stories.

“I think if there is a modernization toward classics, it'll bring a younger and fresher audience or an audience that may not have been drawn to the classics beforehand,” Vandecar said.

Although there are some edits in plot elements, Harper is certain the production will provide the same powers of transportation viewers to the time period.

“It’s more modern, it’s more up to date, although you’re still going to feel like you’re in that time era,” Harper said. “The ladies are still striving to marry rich, so you still have that gender diversity; however, the verbiage is different.”

The production will take place at Bennett Hall Auditorium at the Ohio University Chillicothe, or OUC, campus from Wednesday, Aug. 24, until Saturday, Aug. 27, with all performances starting at 7 p.m.

Although no OU students are members of the cast, Harper sees potential in expanding the community theater’s reach at the university.

“I would love to tap into the student body of OUC,” Harper said. “I think that there's talent, that they just don't know of this (Paper City Players) yet.”

As opening night approaches, Harper said he is looking forward to the reaction of the audience, as well as hopes viewers leave with a smile on their face.

“I would say I’m excited for people to experience a funny, heartwarming interpretation of Pride and Prejudice,” Harper said. “If you love 'Pride and Prejudice,' you’re going to love this interpretation. If you don’t know 'Pride and Prejudice,‘ you’re also going to love it because it's going to be funny enough to keep your attention.”

If you go:

What: The Paper City Players’ production of Kate Hamill’s adaptation of "Pride and Prejudice"

When: Wednesday, August 24th – Saturday, August 27th at 7 p.m.

Where: Bennett Hall Auditorium

Admission: $8

@alyssa_danccruz

ac974320@ohio.edu