Ohio field hockey celebrates after a goal against Davidson on Sept. 4, 2022.

Field Hockey: Ohio unable to muster any offense, falls to VCU 3-0

Ohio found itself in an unfavorable situation on the road Sunday, playing a red-hot Virginia Commonwealth University. VCU pounced on some weaknesses from Ohio, beating it 3-0 in Richmond, Virginia. With the loss, Ohio split its weekend matches. However, it got the win against Longwood, a Mid-American Conference foe. 

Here are the numbers to know from Ohio’s 3-0 loss Sunday: 

36:

The Bobcats played a very sloppy match against the Rams, with 93 total fouls being called between the two teams. Out of the 93 fouls, 36 belonged to the Bobcats. For a team that prides itself on playing smart, disciplined field hockey, the number jumps off the page.

The fouls could have been overlooked if the Bobcats had taken advantage of the 57 fouls called on the Rams, but their inability to do so makes the sloppiness frustrating rather than lucky.

8:

Both Ohio and VCU had similar statistics, so one may assume that it was a close match. However, the score and ability to take advantage of opportunities might tell a different story. Ohio and VCU each had eight shots in the match, with five being on net.

VCU was able to find the goal with a trio of those shots, but the story of the match for Ohio was its own inability to produce offense. Even in its recent wins, Ohio has struggled at converting shots and scoring goals despite getting quality chances and a large quantity of shots. 

6:

The second half of Ohio’s schedule this season is in its favor. Its remaining nine matches feature a staggering six home ones. The home cooking has been a true theme for Ohio this season. It has yet to lose at Pruitt Field, going 3-0 at home up to this point.

However, that record will be tested in the coming weeks. Next week a tough pair of teams will make their way to Athens for massive matches. First, Kent State will put its undefeated conference record on the line, and Michigan State will hope to continue its dominance against Ohio. The next week will be a massive measuring stick for Ohio in its hopes to make the MAC Tournament.

@mbgoldstein1107

mg126321@ohio.edu