Ohio field hockey celebrates after a goal against Davidson on Sept. 4, 2022.

Field Hockey: Numbers to know from Bobcats' 4-1 stumble against Towson

All good things must come to an end.

For Ohio, it was an undefeated start to the season. Ohio slipped against Towson on Sunday and fell 4-1 for its first loss of the 2022 season.

The match was off to a great start for the Bobcats when Anouk Plaehn scored first to put the Bobcats on top early, but that's where their good fortune ended. A quartet of goals by the Tigers punctuated a poor effort for the Bobcats. 

Here are the numbers to know:

14

Ohio was unable to stop Towson’s offensive attack and it got its way against a stout Ohio defense. Ohio relaxed its defense after it gained a lead and Towson took advantage of its dissolved approach. Towson outshot Ohio 14-8 by creating opportunities.

4

Nele Graner is a strong goalkeeper. She allowed just three goals prior to Sunday’s match — enough to earn her Mid-American Conference Defensive Player of the Week following a shutout against Davidson. However, Graner was unable to hold off Towson. She allowed four goals on Sunday, one of which was a one-on-one.

2

Mijntje Ligtenberg continued her stellar start to the season. She collected an assist on Ohio’s lone goal. Ligtenberg has made an immediate impact as a freshman for the Bobcats. She is now second for the most points on the team with seven thus far. Her contributions are far from unnoticed.

@mbgoldstein1107

mg126321@ohio.edu