Ryan Maxin in front of Cutler Hall on College Green.

Eddy's Desk: Destress by joining a student organization

The beginning of a new academic year is always stressful; classes are starting, you’re meeting new people and it’s difficult to move away from what’s familiar to you. 

In the midst of all the busyness, I know it’s easy to write student organizations off as yet another distraction in your already packed schedule, but I’m here to tell you they’re not. 

No matter which student organization you have your eye on, anything is better than focusing exclusively on school work and nothing else. Sure, it might be another thing on your plate, but at least it’s something different to keep you busy. 

Burnout is real and very common when you zero in on one thing. Don’t get me wrong, classes and the homework that comes with them are important, and they should be paid attention to. There’s also nothing wrong with stressing about your new living situation or worrying about how much free time you’re going to have.

However, those are things you mostly can’t control. You can’t necessarily choose how much homework you get, or what the dynamic will be between you and your new roommates, even if you chose who the roommates are.

Student organizations are different because the choice is completely up to you. Are you feeling super passionate and driven? Awesome! Join an organization with a lot of involvement. Are you feeling subdued and in need of some relaxation? Great! There are plenty of student organizations out there devoted to “easygoing” activities. 

As busy students, we all need some sort of outlet. And though joining a new student organization can definitely be stressful, there is such a thing as good stress. This is where I’ll artfully plug The Post

I joined The Post in the fall of 2020 while I was attending college from home because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Essentially, it was the most stressful time of my life. And yet, when I joined and got more involved with this publication, I found I was a lot less stressed, even though I was doing more. 

When I had to interview a source or write an article, it was a welcome break from class work. When people would ask me what I was doing at college, I would respond with my work at The Post instead of telling them what classes I was in. I was busy of course, but it just felt good to be doing something outside of class. 

I can’t say everyone will have the same experience as me when they join a student organization, but I’m confident they will. If you’re stressed with classes or life in general, consider joining one as a way to focus your time and energy elsewhere. 

And if you want to join a student organization but you’re not sure which one, please consider joining us at The Post! We’d really love to have you, and we have plenty of good stress to go around.