Here’s 5 pieces of advice from an OU freshman

Editor’s Note: The Post does not condone breaking the law.

Ah, freshman year. What a time to be alive, or so they say. While it’s a period of growth and adjustment, it’s also a time for you to really take control of your own narrative, especially being away from home for the first time.

As finals week edges closer, I’m becoming more aware that I won’t be a freshman in a matter of a few weeks, but this year has changed me in so many ways and it will definitely change the perspectives and lives of incoming Ohio University Bobcats as well.

Here are five tips of advice for incoming freshmen:

Time really does fly

As soon as you move in, you’re not going to have any time to process how quickly your life is going to change. From setting up your dorm to saying goodbye to your parents in the span of about two hours, it’ll feel like the world has completely flipped upside down. Soon, you’ll already be starting your first fall semester and meeting new people, as well as exploring the dining halls and coffee shops around campus. What I can say to you in this early stage of your college career is to take advantage of the time you get. It all goes by so fast and soon you’ll have a friend group, maybe a girlfriend or boyfriend, and possibly, a new job or position in a student organization, so remember to take all the newness in.

Nobody cares about your high school days

Trust me, do not talk about your ACT or SAT scores. Nobody cares! In college, people are more concerned with balancing their busy school schedules and trying to apply for internships and jobs. Also, it’s okay to talk about your high school friends now and again, but your college friends are not going to know who you’re talking about half the time, nor will they understand the inside jokes or backstories you share with those people. College is about making a new set of friends and meeting people with different backgrounds, personalities and identities, so try to step outside your comfort zone.

Stress is real, as well as burnout

At some point in your freshman year, you will experience burnout. Whether it be from the amount of classes you’re taking, or all the student organizations you’re involved in, stress will creep up on you when you least expect it. Yet, this is normal and an emotion that most college students deal with. While stress is healthy every now and then, it’s not okay to totally deplete your energy. This leads to a whack sleep schedule, no motivation to hang out with your friends or work hard in your classes, and low levels of self-esteem. In order to avoid this, I highly suggest finding a time in your day to relax and restrict yourself from doing homework or studying for that major exam because you simply need it. You must always try to keep your stamina throughout the year.

Going out is fun unless you make it a daily part of your routine

Don’t get me wrong, going out on Court Street is the ultimate way to spend your free time on the weekends here in Athens, but doing so every night of the week is not beneficial. Finding balance is extremely important, and school and work should probably come first before you decide to hit the bars or that party your friend is throwing. You can also do other fun things throughout the week that don’t necessarily involve an awful hangover the next day, nor that exhort too much of your energy, such as seeing a concert at The Union or hosting a movie night in your dorm. Overall, don’t add excessive partying to your lifestyle. 

Be passionate and driven, go for the opportunities you want

Remember why you chose to come to OU. Whether it was because of the gorgeous campus or the lively student body, always try to keep in mind why you are here. Personally, being able to go to college has motivated me to work hard for my family and friends, as well as pursue my career dreams. As a first-year, these sentiments should definitely be in your heart as they will get you far in the long run, so join that organization, take that challenging class and reach out to your professors. All of these choices will only benefit you and make you see the value of working hard and trying out new experiences.

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu