Image via @PQubeGames on Twitter.

Let's Play: The joy of discovering hidden gems

How do you usually find the video games you play? Do you get recommendations from a trusted friend? Do you see it trending on social media? Or do you receive a gift from your family that has been on your wish list for several months?  

These are common ways that many, including myself, get access to the video games they enjoy. I bought my favorite game of all time, Shadow of the Colossus, after knowing the game inside and out from watching YouTubers and streamers play it beforehand. Some of my other favorites, such as Persona 5 and Xenoblade Chronicles, were heavy recommendations from a friend of mine. Before I played and loved The Last of Us Remastered, I knew the game had already received mountains of praise from critics and fans alike.  

What do all of these purchases have in common? I did not take a heavy risk when I bought them. Sure, I paid full price, but I knew from my prior knowledge that there was a significant chance I was going to enjoy each one. 

Let’s look at another one of my treasured titles, Raging Loop. Like the other games I did not take much risk on, I hold fond memories of experiencing this game for the first time, and I consider it to be among my most cherished. Unlike the others, I had not even heard of this title until a few days before I bought it, and I didn’t know much going in. 

In winter 2020, I was a bored college student spending the first half of their sophomore year at home. I heard of a mystery horror visual novel titled Raging Loop on Twitter. Compared to other games in the same or similar genres, such as the Ace Attorney franchise, this game seemed far less known. I did a little research about the game, coming to understand that the protagonist looked strikingly similar to Leon Kennedy in Resident Evil 4 and that the plot centered around strange occurrences in a remote village in Japan. Somehow, this was enough to convince me to buy the game for around $20 on the Nintendo Switch and give it a try. 

Kemco’s Raging Loop was not exactly what I was expecting, but it still ended up being an endearing, unique and horrifying experience that still has not left me nearly two years after my initial playthrough.  

I won’t sit here and list everything great about Raging Loop. That’s another story for another time. The point to be made was that for a reasonable price, I took a risk in buying a game I hadn’t heard much about. None of my friends had played and the game had less player interaction than most of the titles I was used to. Not only did I experience a unique narrative, but the fact that I discovered it on my own made the ride even more memorable.  

Melody Feazell is a senior studying strategic communication at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Tell Melody by tweeting them @MelodyFeaz.