Let’s Play: You can take your time when playing through video games

Video games are fun, but sometimes the seemingly endless list of achievements, secrets and accomplishments can be daunting to those who do not have much time to play. 

A July 2022 title, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 for the Nintendo Switch, has received high praise in the weeks following its release. When an entry in an already beloved franchise becomes the center of so much hype, both veterans and newcomers may feel that they absolutely have to play and complete the game as fast as they can so they can join in on the discussion.  

Yet, for those who want to experience Xenoblade Chronicles 3 to its fullest, they may find that they’ll have to dedicate over 100 hours to the game. Depending on one’s schedule, that could seem like a significant amount of time to give up. What is even more daunting is that the game can feel as if it is filled to the brim with mechanics and features to learn.  

The thing is, 100, 150 or even 200 hours of content can seem little or large depending on the time span it is played in. Many have already beaten Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and can discuss the story and content as they please. That doesn’t mean that others are doing anything wrong by taking their time.  

Video games, as entertainment, are there for you, not the other way around. It can be relaxing to have six-hour gaming sessions and make an abundant amount of progress throughout a narrative. At times, however, someone may only be able to hop on for a couple of hours in a week and not get very far. If someone feels like they are falling behind when it takes them a long time to beat a video game, they are not. The game is not going anywhere. 

In an era where it is easy to see endless conversations regarding media online, people may feel pressured to speed through content to join in on the conversation. When the very existence of some media is threatened, there may be even more of a reason to feel rushed.  

Slow down and remember that there is more to engaging media than watching and playing as much as you can. Is exploring as much art as possible useful? It is. But the player won’t get as much out of what they consume if they rush through it without stopping to smell the roses the artists grow.  

Players might find themselves “behind” on Xenoblade Chronicles 3 or another release with hours upon hours of content. They should not let that convince them that they are playing these games wrong. Every game, regardless of how long it takes you to complete it, has the potential of ending up as a personal and special experience.  

Whether someone completes 100% of the game’s content or just gets the first ending they find is the player’s choice. Whichever the decision is, it should be done because it is how that person wants to experience a game, not because it is how they have to.  

Melody Feazell is a senior studying strategic communication at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Tell Melody by tweeting them @MelodyFeaz.