Teammates celebrate with Aubrey Rea (5) after she scores a goal against Miami on Thursday, Sep. 29, 2022.

Soccer: Ohio secures first conference win in 2-0 victory over Miami

An 0-2 start to the Mid-American Conference season is not what Ohio was expecting after a strong nonconference performance, but that is exactly what it faced.

Frustrated with the past week's performance, Ohio came out against a gritty Miami team and came away with a 2-0 victory, proving that there is a lot of time left in the season and they are not going to back down now.

Redshirt senior Sam Wexell got her first start of the season in goal for the Bobcats, moving back into the starting lineup after an injury. This was Wexell's first full match of the season after splitting the last four matches in goal with freshman Celeste Sloma. Wexell was critical for the success of the Bobcats in this match as she was tested early. Four saves in just over 10 minutes for the veteran goalie kept the Bobcats even with Miami early in the match, buying time for the offense to heat up.

After a beautiful cross by sophomore Kali Stock to junior Shae Robertson went just wide of the goal, the first half finished tied at 0-0. Ohio had not scored a goal in the previous two matches and was desperate to net one to give it a lead.

20 minutes into the second half, the Bobcats did just that. After a perfect cross from redshirt senior Haley Miller, junior Aubrey Rea fooled the defense, letting the ball go in between her legs to an uncovered Isabella Ginocchi, who buried her shot in the top left corner.

"I feel like all together, our team has just gotten stronger," Ginocchi said after the match. "We're playing well together and everyone has such a great role."

Getting on the board increased the energy for the Bobcats even further as in the 85th minute, Robertson scored her third goal of the season on an assist from junior Carsyn Prigge, making the lead 2-0, the where it remained for the rest of the match.

"It gives us a lot of confidence," Ohio coach Aaron Rodgers said. "In the first few MAC matches, we just struggled. And you know, maybe we were lacking a little confidence, but we got a much needed confidence booster."

@officialelij

ej358918@ohio.edu