Ohio University quarterback Kurtis Rourke (7) runs the ball during the first half of the game at Ryan Field on Saturday, Sept. 25, 2021.

Football: Ohio's opens 2022 season hosting Florida Atlantic

At long last, Ohio begins its 2022 season Saturday, and it is looking for its first nonconference win in more than three years on Frank Solich Field at Peden Stadium against Florida Atlantic.

Even though this is Ohio’s first game of the season, Florida Atlantic began its season last weekend with a 43-13 beatdown of Charlotte.

Here is everything you need to know about Ohio’s first opponent of the season:

Head Coach

Former Florida State head coach Willie Taggart enters his third season as head coach of the Owls after winning five games in each of his first two seasons. Offense has not been his strong suit with the Owls, as last weekend was just the third time, second against an FBS opponent, that they eclipsed 40 points.

Quarterback

Starting quarterback N’Kosi Perry was efficient if unspectacular against Charlotte, completing 16 of his 21 pass attempts for 256 yards and a touchdown. Perry is in his second year as FAU’s starter after transferring from Miami prior to the 2021 season.

Last year, he threw for 2771 yards with 20 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He is not a huge threat on the ground, but he did rush for four touchdowns last season and added another against Charlotte.

Leading Rusher

FAU was dominant on the ground against Charlotte, rushing the ball 49 times for 223 yards and three of its five touchdowns. Larry McCammon was FAU’s most successful runner, going for 118 yards and a touchdown on just 14 carries.

Most of McCammon’s yardage, however, came on a 52-yard touchdown run in the first quarter. Without that play, FAU averaged just 3.6 yards per carry. If Ohio can limit chunk plays, they may be able to stop FAU’s run game.

Leading Receiver

FAU spread the wealth in the passing game, with completions to eight different receivers and no receiver having more than four catches. They were able to get some big plays, however, as all eight receivers with a catch had a reception that went for at least 10 yards.

The Owls’ leading receiver last weekend was LaJohntay Wester, who totaled four receptions for 66 yards. Without one dominant receiver for the Owls, the Bobcats will have their hands full in coverage.

Defense

FAU’s defense recorded four sacks against Charlotte last weekend and allowed just 279 yards, but easily the biggest play of the game was a 63-yard pick six by Justin McKitchen. In addition, Eddie Williams led the way for FAU’s defense with eight total tackles.

Ohio Notes

Head coach Tim Albin announced this week that star running back O’Shaan Allison would miss the entire season with a shoulder injury, and Sieh Bangura was named the starter for this weekend’s game.

@willocunnigham

wc425318@ohio.edu