Ohio’s Maci Watrous #20 digs during Ohio’s match against Kent State in The Convo on Wednesday, Oct. 20, 2021. Ohio won three sets to two.

Volleyball: Ohio wins all 3 matches at Tulane invitational

Ohio's (3-2) trip to New Orleans couldn't have gone any better, as it won all 3 matches at the Tulane invitational.

Match 1

Ohio got off to a poor start in set one of its first match against UMKC (3-3). The Bobcats were down 3-1 after the first 4 points, but immediately flipped the script and went on a 5-0 run powered by multiple Kangaroo errors. The Bobcats jumped out to a 12-5 lead in set one, before UMKC answered with a run of its own to trim Ohio's lead to just 3. Ohio quickly erased UMKC's momentum with 3 straight points, and eventually won set one 25-21.

The second set looked to be much more competitive than the first, as the Bobcats only led 17-15, but they went on a 7-1 run, capped off by a Caitlin O'Farrell kill to take a huge lead in set two. Ohio won the set 25-20.

Ohio completed the sweep of UMKC with a 25-22 third set win to pick up its first win of the season.

Ohio's first win was dominant, as it outscored UMKC 75-63. Olivia Margolies had a huge match with a team high 16 kills and 3 serving aces. O'Farrell also had a significant contribution with 9 kills and 2 blocks.

Match 2

Ohio's second match was later that night against Howard (2-3). The first set was looking like it wouldn't go Ohio's way, as Ohio found itself down 14-10. However, it scored 4 straight points to tie the set at 14. Ohio once again was in a three point hole, down 21-18, but it quickly tied the set at 22 after two kills from Caroline Clippard. The Bobcats had their backs to the wall several times in set one, but after the Buffaloes were not able to capitalize on several set points, the Bobcats scored 3 straight points to win set one 30-28.

Howard would not go down without a fight, and after a marathon first set it put Ohio away convincingly in set two by a score of 25-19.

The Bobcats were able to answer in set three, and take a 13-8 lead midway through the first set. The Buffaloes quickly erased their deficit with a 6-1 run, led by Bria Woodard, who had two kills during this stretch. The Bobcats took the suspense out of the third set with 6 straight points, and went on to win the third set 25-19.

Ohio was able to punctuate its victory with a dominant 25-14 win in set four.

Olivia Margolies once again led the way for the Bobcats offensively with 16 kills, and also had a huge impact on the defensive end with 10 digs.

Match 3

Ohio's third match of the weekend was against Tulane (3-3), and it got off to a sluggish start in set one. Tulane had a 15-12 lead early, but Ohio battled back to take a 20-19 lead. The lead went back and forth at the end of set one, but Ohio grabbed a 24-23 lead to give itself set point. Clippard scored the set winning point, and Ohio took set one 25-23.

Set two was another back and forth set that eventually ended up tied at 19. Ohio came up big in another crucial moment, scoring five straight points to go up 24-19. Ohio took the set 25-21.

Tulane avoided the sweep in set three with a 25-20 win, but Ohio put an end to the match with its most dominant set of the year, winning set four 25-10.

Ohio dominated its match against Tulane, outscoring Tulane 95-79.

Olivia Margolies capped her excellent weekend with another great performance. She had 19 kills and 17 digs, which both finished as the second most on the team. O'Farrell led the way with 22 kills, and Sam Steele had a great day defensively with 20 digs.

In just two days the Bobcats were able to pick up three wins to push themselves over the .500 mark. The Bobcats pickup play again next weekend with their first three home games of the season in the Bobcat Invitational.

@GorbettBobby

bg238320@ohio.edu