5 weekend activities to pass the time in Athens

When it nears the weekend, the first thought that goes through your mind might be, “What can I do?” If you’re in Athens for the weekend, try one of these five activities whether it be going out for the night or spending time grounding yourself in nature. 

A visit to The Union

For those dying to dive into the local music scene, The Union, 18 W. Union St., is the perfect place to spend a weekend night. Whether it be a performance from a local band or a themed dance party, you’re bound to dance the night away to eclectic tunes. 

Take a trip to Strouds Run

Located just northeast of Athens, Strouds Run State Park offers a variety of activities for every person. On hotter days, consider taking a trip to the beach or renting out a pontoon with your friends. For those looking to get more in touch with their outdoorsy side, rent out a kayak or hike one of the many trails around Dow Lake. If you have a hammock, there are plenty of trees to set up and enjoy nature for the afternoon.

See a sports team play

Football, Volleyball, Soccer, Swim, Cross Country and Field Hockey are gearing up to be in full swing. Going to cheer on the Bobcats is a great way to meet new people and get into the OU spirit. Consider making a sign and wearing spirit wear to the game, too! You can check schedules and purchase tickets to cheer on the team here.

Go to the Farmer’s Market

Occurring every Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon, the Athens Farmers Market is a one-stop shop for local produce and delicacies. Located at the Market on State Street, 1002 E. State St., visiting the Farmer’s Market is one way to support local vendors and those who live in the surrounding area. Plus, you’ll end up with something delicious regardless of the booths you visit. 

Hangout on College Green

It doesn’t even have to be college green! Pack some snacks, a book or maybe painting supplies, grab your friends and a blanket and set up for a relaxing afternoon under the trees. Laying out and being in nature is a relaxing way to decompress after a long week of classes. Wherever you end up, you’re guaranteed to experience some fresh air and lots of people watching.

ac732319@ohio.edu

acarter3602