The Hungry Cat Food Truck was used as a dining hall substitute on West Green during the spring semester while Boyd Dining Hall was closed for renovation. As of Monday, October 5, 2015, the food truck will be parked near Clippinger Hall and will be operated by Ohio University Culinary Devices as a retail venue. 

8 alternatives to the dining halls

Eating on campus can be frustrating, with the minimal options outside the dining hall that you can eat at, especially if you're on a constricting meal plan or don’t have Bobcat cash. There are options on campus that are commonly unknown, making them the best way to switch up what you eat on campus. If you’re not new to campus, still, several of these options could be new to you.

Here are 10 alternatives to the standard dining hall: 

Life is Sweet

The latest addition to Baker University Center’s first floor is Life is Sweet. Located right next to West 82, this bakery-style shop is serving students delicious baked goods, and it’s no wonder why they're so popular on campus. This is a great place to stop on your way to class if you haven’t had breakfast yet, or at any point in the day if you have a sweet tooth. They accept most forms of payment like Bobcat cash and flex points, in addition to regular transactions.

Front Room Coffeehouse

Collectively called “froom” by students on campus, this coffeehouse is a less expensive Starbucks where you can spend flex points and Bobcat cash. They have all the familiar classics that you’d expect at a Starbucks like cold brews, chai tea lattes, refreshers and so on. This is such a unique place, and it’s located in an easily accessible location regardless of where Bobcats live. 

West 82

Located on Baker University Center’s first floor, this food court-style walk-through is unlike anything on campus. You can have your pick of sandwiches, pizza, burrito bowls -- you name it. All are accessible with the swipe of your student ID as they accept Bobcat cash and flex points. They also accept credit and debit cards. West 82 is the best bang for your buck and is a huge difference from eating at a dining hall. 

Latitude 39

Latitude 39 is a sit-down restaurant on the first floor of Baker University Center, and it’s unlike anything you could experience on campus. The food is similar to an actual restaurant and the dining options are so unique. Where else on campus could you say you had a steak dinner? Although it’s tempting, you don’t have to dress up to eat there. This restaurant also accepts Bobcat cash and flex points, as well as credit or debit.

Smooth Moves

This smoothie shop located in Boyd Market is unique in that you can use a meal swipe to get a combo meal. This includes a smoothie, a fruit and a bakery item of your choice. Smooth Moves is a great place to visit if you need something to eat quickly before class and need to use a meal swipe. 

Southside Espresso Bar 

Southside Espresso Bar is located inside Nelson Dining Hall. It’s been revived back on campus since the onset of COVID. It's another cafe where you can fuel yourself with caffeine. This cafe is different from Front Room Coffeehouse in that they make unique coffee unlike any other cafe on campus. Definitely stop in if you need a pick-me-up after you eat at Nelson. 

Brick City Deli in Jeff Market

This deli is a great stop if you’ve run out of options for places to eat. Located in Jefferson Marketplace, this deli is a great place to get a quick meal. You can order a combo, which includes a sandwich, chips and a drink. All forms of payment are acceptable: flex points, Bobcat cash or just paying with a card. This is a very good option, especially if you’re just finishing shopping for groceries in Jefferson Marketplace. 

The Hungry Cat

The Hungry Cat, although not a new addition, is a welcome reinstallment on campus. This food truck, parked at the top of Morton Hill, is a great stop for a quick bite to eat between classes or meetings. The food served in the truck is actually quite good, more snack food than a meal, but nonetheless tasty. If you need something fast on your walk through campus, this is the place to stop. 

@eifert_sean26 

se538920@ohio.edu