8 weekend destinations to get away to this fall

Fall is arguably one of the best times of the year to be on campus in Athens. However, sometimes it’s nice to shake things up and go off campus, even for just a little bit. If you think you’ve exhausted places to go for the weekend, we’ve got you covered. Here are eight weekend destinations to get away to this fall:

Milan, Ohio

A village in Northern Ohio, Milan is a quaint and quiet place that’s perfect for relaxing. Specifically, the Culinary Vegetable Institute is a great way to get away and out in nature. This destination is breathtaking when the leaves change color and the weather begins to shift. You can rent a room at the institute, enjoy the fresh food grown on-site and watch people prepare the dishes.

Glenmont, Ohio

Another outdoorsy destination, Glenmont is a small village north of Central Ohio. Let glamor meet camping and stay at The Mohicans Treehouse Resort and Wedding Venue. These treehouses are seriously decked out and perfect for any occasion. The different options range anywhere from one to four people, and if treehouses aren’t your style, they also have cabins to rent.

Indianapolis, Indiana

Want more of a city trip? Then Indianapolis is for you. Places like the Indianapolis Museum of Art and the Central Canal have high praise, as the museum has over 54,000 pieces of work and 152 acres of gardens and grounds to walk. The canal is also good for walking along or catching a gondola ride. If you’re wanting to have a dining experience out of the ordinary, The Cake Bake Shop serves afternoon tea along with fancy pastries and gourmet savory options.

Chicago, Illinois

One of the largest cities in the U.S., Chicago has places to go for every kind of person. From spending the day at Navy Pier to shopping on Michigan Avenue, there is never a lull in the Windy City. Try out famous Chicago deep dish pizza Giordano’s or authentic food in Chinatown. Check out the multiple high-rise downtown apartments to rent on Airbnb here.

Elysburg, Pennsylvania

Known for a certain attraction, Elysburg is a lush location out of a movie. You may have seen TikToks about it, but Elysburg is home to Knoebels, a family-owned and operated amusement park. The resort also offers a picnic grove and campgrounds, but the attraction is known for its free admission and gorgeous scenery in the fall time.

District of Columbia, Washington

Washington, D.C. is yet another city packed with sights to see and things to do. The United States Botanical Garden, the National Mall and Georgetown are all must-sees for anyone going to the nation’s capital. Get a taste of city life by staying at places like the Tabard Inn and Kimpton Carlyle Dupont Circle.

Gatlinburg, Tennessee

Located in the mountains of eastern Tennessee, Gatlinburg is known to be the gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The town is filled with attractions that allow you to take in the picturesque scenery such as the Space Needle, SkyLift Park and an aerial tramway. Ober Gatlinburg Amusement Park and The Ski Area are popular attractions for people to visit too.

Asheville, North Carolina

Experience all that Asheville, North Carolina has to offer. In the Blue Ridge Mountains, Asheville has a rich art and architecture scene. River Arts District is packed with artists in industrial warehouses, Shoji Spa and Lodge offers relaxation with salt caves and the Omni Grove Park Inn is the perfect place to stay and get a view of the western mountains.

@mimi_calhoun

mc300120@ohio.edu