Weekender Briefs: Live music, clothing exchanges, sporting events galore

Friday, September 30

Music in the Gallery: Chris Michael & The Andrews at The Dairy Barn Arts Center from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Enjoy music provided by Chris Michael & The Andrews, and tour the venue’s newest exhibition, “WideOpen: Excellence in Photography.” The address is 8000 Dairy Lane.

Admission: Free for members, $7 for non-members

Cats Pajamas Clothing Exchange at Arts West, located at 132 W. State St. Attendees are encouraged to bring unwanted clothes to exchange with others at the event. Anyone can return to the exchange unlimited times with no additional fee with the purchase of a golden ticket, or visitors can opt for regular tickets, where one can take as many products as they brought and pay only for additional items. The event is from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., although different events have different times.

Admission: $15 for a golden ticket, or $1/per item that exceeds what was donated

The Local Produce Fair sponsored by Bobcats Well-Being is from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Held in Jefferson Hall and West 82 in Baker Center, the fair will have free samples and learning sessions for students. 

Admission: Free

Saturday, October 1

The Blue Blaze Festival provides attendees with more than just running events. Hosted at the Buckeye Trail Association Office at 127 Main St. in Shawnee, there will be an array of activities, including backpacking and hiking. The festival lasts from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Admission: $55 for half-marathon event, $40 for 10k run, $35 for 5k run and walk, $20 for 10 mile hike. The festival itself is free.

An Athens Autumn is a family-friendly, all-day open house with speakers, performers and workshops for the Athens community. The event is from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Athens Public Library, 30 Home St. Topics include agriculture, creativity, history, wellness and appreciation for local natural resources. 

Admission: Free

Tuppers Plains Fire Department 5K Run/Walk/Firefighter Challenge Walkwill be at the Tuppers Plains Fire Department on 42090 Main St. in Tupper Plains. The fourth annual event will begin and end at the fire department. It starts at 10 a.m.

Admission: $30

Sunday, October 2

Homesteading Women: Past, Present, Near and Farat The Kennedy Museum of Art will display an exhibit illustrating the lives of women homesteaders from the 19th century with interviews and photographs of contemporary women homesteaders in and around Athens County. The event will be held at 100 Ridges Circle from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Admission: Free

School of Music presents: OHIO Jazz Combos will be held at Baker Center, starting at 6 p.m. The Ohio University School of Music will host an evening of jazz music featuring the OHIO Jazz Combos.

Admission: Free

Ohio Field Hockey vs. Michigan State will see Ohio University’s women’s field hockey team take on Michigan State at 128 South Shafer St. The game starts at 12 p.m. and is part of the “Turn It Gold” initiative to support childhood cancer awareness as part of the university’s partnership with PassionWorks.

Admission: Free

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu