Coach Ali Johnstone in the huddle discussing about a play against Michigan State University at Pruitt Field in Athens, Ohio on Oct. 2nd, 2022.

Field Hockey: Ohio faces win-and-in scenario vs. Appalachian State

Everything is on the line in Ohio’s last match of the regular season.

The match against Appalachian State is arguably Ohio’s most important of the season, as well as Senior Day. Ohio’s quest for redemption in the Mid-American Conference Tournament can become a reality with a victory against a surging App State squad. 

Match Information:

Opponent: Appalachian State (11-5, 4-2 MAC)

Location: Pruitt Field (Athens, Ohio)

Date and Time: Friday, Oct. 28 at 2 p.m.

Live stream can be accessed here

Live stats can be accessed here

App State Scouting Report:

In a season where nothing has come easy for the Bobcats, it is fitting that in order to get into the MAC Tournament, they must beat the hottest team in the conference. Although the Mountaineers are not full members of the MAC, they do play field hockey in the conference, creating interesting matches. 

The Mountaineers started this season 4-5, but a seven-match winning streak has propelled them to third in the MAC standings. The streak includes a victory in double overtime against Ball State, one of the most instrumental wins of their season. 

App State is led by a stifling defense that has only allowed 20 goals, which is only slightly less than Ohio’s 29 goals scored. Additionally, App State has scored 51 goals, although that is weighed down by a 10-goal match against Queens and a seven-goal outing against Central Michigan. 

The Mountaineers have gotten countless contributions from their entire roster, but Friederike Stegen, a graduate student from Germany, has especially impressed. Stegen has 12 goals and 30 points overall this season. She has recorded a point in nine of her past 10 matches. The key to slowing down the Mountaineers is in slowing down Stegen and her high-powered offense. 

One of App State’s most consistent players has been seen in the net. Addie Clark, a senior from Louisville, Kentucky, has played almost every minute of the season. Her 1.11 average goals per match rank 10th in the nation. Getting past her will be one of the most important battles for the Bobcats as they aspire to win. 

Postseason Scenarios:

A MAC Tournament berth is something that every program in the conference hopes to gain, but only four teams can actually make it to Oxford, Ohio. There are four total spots available, but Kent State and Miami have already locked up their playoff berth, leaving two spots remaining. Ohio currently sees itself on the outside looking in, but that could change with a win Friday.

Ball State and App State both have 4-2 marks in MAC play, but the head-to-head record favors App State. Ball State plays Miami Friday, and a victory grants it a berth. However, a loss complicates things for Ball State.

The only way for Ohio to reach the tournament is by beating App State; a loss ends its season. Ohio and Ball State victories mean App State is left out of the conference tournament. On the other hand, a win by Ohio and a loss by Ball State may grant App State and Ohio a berth.

Although there are multiple different scenarios for the contending teams, it is very simple for Ohio: win and keep playing.

@mbgoldstein1107

mg126321@ohio.edu