6 ways to help combat insomnia

Many people struggle with insomnia, especially college students. If you find yourself tossing and turning, experiencing racing thoughts or hyperactivity, it's most likely due to the stress and anxiety of Fall Semester.

In need of a solution? Here are six ways to help manage your insomnia:

Exercise

Adding physical activity to your daily routine is an effective way to treat insomnia. Simply walking on a treadmill for 10 to 15 minutes, going on a bike ride or walking up the hills of Ohio University may help you exhaust yourself more so that when bedtime comes, you actually feel tired. However, WebMD recommends not exercising less than two hours before bedtime, as exercise also releases endorphins that help you feel energized and awake. 

Watch what you eat and drink before bed

Don't eat big meals, alcohol or caffeine before bed. Alcohol and caffeine affect the quality of your sleep and could make it very difficult to fall asleep. Stop drinking caffeine by the middle of your day to avoid this, and avoid drinking alcohol after dinnertime. Instead, drink something hot such as warm milk or chamomile tea, before bed. Both have effects on the brain that make it easier to fall asleep.

Keep your room dark

When your room is dark, falling asleep and staying asleep is easier. Make sure to shut your curtains or blinds to block out any light that could wake you up. You could even try wearing a sleep mask. In terms of artificial light, avoid watching TV or being on your phone before bed, as this kind of light has a stimulating effect, making it harder to sleep.

Try different methods of relaxation

Before bed, try doing an activity that is calming, such as reading, listening to music or taking a long bath or shower. It's important to get your most challenging tasks done at the beginning of your day, so that you can take the night to fully relax and recharge. Make your bedroom comfortable by dimming the lights, lowering the temperature and turning down the noise. Items such as earplugs or a white noise machine may help as well. Also, hide any clocks in your room so that it doesn't make you anxious about the time, as the more you worry about sleeping, the less you'll get.

Stick to a routine

Don't go to bed at different times every night unless you simply can't prevent it. Set an alarm on your phone when you want to go to bed, and stick to that time. By making this a part of your routine, you'll get more sleep and spend less time using technology before bed. Also, you'll find yourself feeling better rested and less anxious. Overall, a routine may prevent you from not sleeping well.

Melatonin

If you're struggling to fall asleep and have tried all the above methods, then melatonin may be the answer. Melatonin is responsible for regulating your body's circadian rhythm to manage your natural sleep cycle and is an accessible over-the-counter medicine you can buy at your local CVS or Walmart. After taking it, it helps you fall asleep and stay asleep, which may improve your mental health. However, don't abuse this medicine, and take the correct dosage as it says on the bottle.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu