Athens High School football team plays against Vinton County, at Joe Burrow Stadium, in Athens Ohio, on Sept. 17, 2022.

Athens Football: Athens takes on Wellston in winless matchup

With three games left on the schedule, 0-7 Athens will be looking for its first win of the season Friday night when it takes on Wellston (0-7, 0-3 Tri-Valley Conference). 

The back end of Athens' schedule is not an easy one as it is set to face Nelsonville-York and River Valley. Nelsonville-York is one of the best teams in the conference with only one loss all season. If Athens wishes to avoid a winless season, this game at home against another winless opponent will be its best opportunity. 

These two teams both rank in the bottom two in offense and defense in the TVC-Ohio. Athens' defense has an edge on Wellston as it has allowed 231 points to Wellston’s 311. Each team is coming off a rough loss last week as it fell 65-6 to Nelsonville-York. Athens also had a pretty lofty loss as it fell 48-22 to Meigs.  

Game Information:

Opponent: Wellston

Venue: Joe Burrow Stadium 

Kickoff: 7 p.m. 

News and Notes:

Last year when Athens took on Wellston, it was defeated 49-28. 

After several weeks of missing a few of their senior leaders, the Bulldogs should be back at close to full strength this week. Seniors Landon Wheatley and Marcus Stevers are both expected to play for the second consecutive week after both missing some time with their respective injuries. 

Braeden Young had his struggles last week with turnovers, but overall put on another quality performance for the Bulldog offense. The sophomore quarterback lead the team in both passing yards and rushing yards with 224 yards in the air and 79 on the ground. 

These two teams are currently tied for last in the TVC-Ohio.

@robertkeegan_

bk272121@ohio.edu